Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Locks, Redux

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sifting through threads on the subject, it seems to come down to two philosophies:

1. Wheel locks are useless, they just slow down any wheel thief by a few minutes

2. They are a great deterrent that will stop anyone but seasoned professionals

I am searching for the definitive answer to prevent/deter theft of my $4k aftermarket wheels before I even install them.

Thanks.

Sifting through threads on the subject, it seems to come down to two philosophies:

1. Wheel locks are useless, they just slow down any wheel thief by a few minutes

2. They are a great deterrent that will stop anyone but seasoned professionals

I am searching for the definitive answer to prevent/deter theft of my $4k aftermarket wheels before I even install them.

Thanks.

Perhaps I am missing something, but I dont see what "definitive answer" you could possibly receive. This is not at all different (at all) from people saying "I leave my car unlocked at home" and others saying "I lock my car every time I get out of it", and someone asking for a definitive answer on "whats safer"?

There isnt a world where leaving something unlocked is more deterrant than locking it, even if locking it is minimal deterrent. So you answered your own question, with the "prevent / deter theft of my 4k aftermarket wheels before I even install them" statement.

Its not deterring anyone to not buy wheel locks, and you are concerned about it enough to create a thread about it, so it sounds like you should be buying some wheel locks.

You may be a moderator, but your answer is above my pay grade, sorry.

Let me try it a different way: will installing wheel locks make a significant difference in deterring wheel theft or not? (Now please don't try to parse "significant".)

If so, is there a type that does it better than others?

With $4k on the line, I don't care how anyone on TMC answers, I'd be getting some wheel locks. Even if it costs a thief a few more minutes, that might be enough minutes to stop the theft and is a small price to pay(in money and inconvenience).

There are some types available that are better than others. See if you can find some that have a spinning collar that makes "pound on the 12pt socket" method of removal harder.

Consider ordering a second key when you get the set and put it with your car title or somesuch at home.

Might be worth noting that I don't use wheel locks, in general.

See if you can find some that have a spinning collar that makes "pound on the 12pt socket" method of removal harder.

You have a brand in mind? Advanced Wheel Locks look interesting but do not have the right depth to work with Tesla studs.

Some questions to think about (no need to share the answers of course) for the OP:

- What are the wheel or car crime stats and post-pandemic crime trends in Cincinnati, across OH and where you live, and frequent with the 3?

- How do you use the 3 in terms of where you do usually park it, for how long, at what times? Do you commute with it? Do you park on the street?

- Is $4K expendable or significant budget-wise or is the worry about or just as much about the wheels/tires themselves (you simply like them, wouldnt want to replace or worry about being unable to replace easily if stolen)?

The bolt pattern and hub bore and common offsets of most aftermarket wheels used on a 3 are a relatively popular fit for many cars (including the sea of 3s) which certainly makes them a theft magnet.

Nowadays, you could purchase unique and petty thief proof wheel locks (pros will get them off or steal the entire car if they have to) plus for extra deterrance (and time sink for any potential thieves - but also yourself or any techs working on your car) - you can use a wheel lock nut at every stud instead of the usual one wheel lock per wheel approach.

See if you can find some that have a spinning collar that makes "pound on the 12pt socket" method of removal harder.

You have a brand in mind? Advanced Wheel Locks look interesting but do not have the right depth to work with Tesla studs.
No, sadly. I agree with the next poster that putting extra locks on (2-5 per wheel) would be another good deterrent, moreso if they are different styles(although they'll look goofy)

putting extra locks on (2-5 per wheel) would be another good deterrent, moreso if they are different styles

Really? If I have to triple and quadruple lock every wheel with locks from several different manufacturers to prevent theft, I would think the whole idea is an abject failure.