Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Sensors Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a set of winter tires installed on my OEM rims. TPSM system continued to work fine... no issues when rims and winter tires were reinstalled... drove car all winter and it was fine. I bought a set of aftermarket rims and aftermarket sensors for the summer. Car didn't recognize the AM tensors, so I had to get Tesla techs to see if they could calibrate the car. They hooked their computer to the car, and did get the car to recognize the sensors but only get a pressure reading. So I had the tires read pressure on the screen and in the app. Now I am back to winter and get the rims switched over to the OEMs, I thought the car would recognize them automatically but nope... back to Tesla to get them to get them registered back to the car, but was told the OEM sensors are not sending any signal and need replaced. I just have a hard time understanding that all four tps died in storage for 6 months? $850 to have them changed out with new ones. My son has a 2010 Acura TL with two sets of rims and tires... 12 years later same sensors working fine. Very disturbed!

Attachments

• IMG_9018.JPEG
    IMG_9018.JPEG
    614.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 65669635161__DA53FE26-921B-48C4-A159-23E4E4796EAD.jpeg
    65669635161__DA53FE26-921B-48C4-A159-23E4E4796EAD.jpeg
    521.2 KB · Views: 30
I have a set of winter tires installed on my OEM rims. TPSM system continued to work fine... no issues when rims and winter tires were reinstalled... drove car all winter and it was fine. I bought a set of aftermarket rims and aftermarket sensors for the summer. Car didn't recognize the AM tensors, so I had to get Tesla techs to see if they could calibrate the car.

There is something weird after the aftermarket sensors that you bought.
I have a set of summer 20" Tesla OEM wheels (total POS, BTW) with OEM tesla TPMS sensors, and an aftermarket set of 18" winter wheel+tires with aftermarket 433Mhz TPMS sensors.
Switching between the two TPMS sensor sets does not require any custom programming by Tesla. Just your regular TPMS and wheel reset. Although it does take longer for TEsla to re-learn new sensors then it does for all my other cars (that also get their own winter wheels+tire swaps).

Aftermarket sensors were bought from TireRack:

They hooked their computer to the car, and did get the car to recognize the sensors but only get a pressure reading. So I had the tires read pressure on the screen and in the app. Now I am back to winter and get the rims switched over to the OEMs, I thought the car would recognize them automatically but nope... back to Tesla to get them to get them registered back to the car, but was told the OEM sensors are not sending any signal and need replaced. I just have a hard time understanding that all four tps died in storage for 6 months?

It's highly unlikely that the sensors died. And even if one of them did, the other 3 would show up, and you will get an error on the 4th.
How exactly do you go around resetting the TPMS sensors?

In my case, I reset both the wheel and TPMS configurations:
1673634800734.png

I think I go in and "reset" TPMS sensors after that as well, although I can't find reference to the procedure in the Model 3 manual.

$850 to have them changed out with new ones. My son has a 2010 Acura TL with two sets of rims and tires... 12 years later same sensors working fine. Very disturbed!
$850 is a rip-off.
If you can't get your sensors to behave, at least consider buying a replacement set from TR. I paid $162.07 shipped to my door, net of taxes.
My local tire-shop swaps then sensors in/out for $10/wheels. Discount Tire does it for $25.

HTH,
a

Not certain what model year you have on your 3.

We installed new aftermarket wheels and tires for our winter setup. We elected to provide our own Tesla TPMS sensors that we purchased from MODEL+....

A bit cheaper than from Tesla but they are OEM and have worked flawlessly for us.

Sometimes things go "bad"...it happens....so that might be the case. Depending on the age of your sensors (OEM) ones....they may have simply failed.

Just a thought.