Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Speed Sensor Issue... Again??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

2023 M3P, with aftermarket wheels and H&R Lowering springs. Last year, at about 8700 miles I raced autocross, and in the first run (in track mode) I drove for about 5 seconds and then got a ton of errors - no ABS, no TCS, no stability control, no regen, momentarily lost power, and kicked out of track mode. This was my second autox race of the season (first race did not have this issue). I parked the car in between runs, everything reset, then within 5 seconds of starting the run, same thing happened. Within the next week or two after the race, when hitting a larger bump, or anything that unloaded and loaded the suspension, the same thing would happen - like 10 error messages, no ABS/traction/stability/regen, until I stopped driving and turned off the car. Tesla service replaced a wheel sensor and it seemed to fix the problem.

Now about 1 year later, and with 18k miles, did my first autox race for this season, and within the first 2 turns, same issue - error message/lost power/ abs and all settings. Happened every run. Resulted in me putting multiple flat spots in my tires as the electric brake actuators are very difficult to modulate without ABS 😥 . The error messages looked a little different, but resulted in the same as before. Since the race last weekend, I have not had the error occur, but a few times when driving on the highway and hitting a bump that loads/unloads the suspension, I can feel the power cut for a split second, like the system momentarily freaks out but it is quick enough to keep going. I also do not drive aggressively when not racing, so I imagine that is part of why I haven't had the error since...

I pulled all the wheels to check the wheel speed sensor wiring and ALL of the sensor wires looked totally fine. Unfortunately, the service center by my house is literally booked out a full month and this issue is bugging me so I am reaching out to the community to see if anyone knows what is going on? It is quite frustrating to be all excited for a race day, and then second turn of first run, lose all driver aid systems for the entire day...

Thanks in advance!
Greg