Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Swap 21 Turbines to 19' TPMS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys I have a early 13' P85 that I have the original 21 turbines on. I know someone selling 19' OEM wheels off of a 2015 model, will those wheel be compatible with my car? I'm sure they will fit but is there something I need to get done with the dealership or myself? Thanks guys.

You will need the correct TPMS, but do it. I swap my 19s / 21s twice yearly between seasons and the car automatically recognizes it, asks to confirm swap, and then all the rim pictures of the car changes along with mileage estimate updates also.

When you say swap the TPMS sensors, am i getting new ones or getting them off of the turbines because i want to use the 19s for a road trip.
If you plan on keeping both sets of wheels and using both sets of wheels, then it would be best to purchase a new set of TPMS sensors from the service center and installing them, as the new ones aren't compatible with your car. They switched to a new sensor in late 2014.
If you aren't planning on swapping back and forth between the 21" & 19", then I would just take your current sensors and put them in the new wheels. Important note: the nut that holds the sensor in is aluminum and is not meant to be reused. Buy 4 new nuts from the service center. It's only $16 for the set. Also, the torque rating on the nut is 6N-m.

This is great information guys, I think I will move forward with the new wheels and I do plan on exchanging them a couple of times a year. I will be calling my local service center shortly and hopefully all works. Be nice to swap out to 19s for road trips and hope for slightly better range.