Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel/tire advice for range/durability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, all I am debating Gemini or induction wheels. For the Gemini, I would need to get them painted black or get aftermarket wheels down the road as I do not like the silver look. If I am concerned with maximum range and durability (flats, potholes, etc) as well as looks is there a significant difference?
Does anyone have any info or speculation on how the 19 vs 20 weight/ size might compare and the influence that may have on the range? I know there is lots of data on model 3 for this.
Secondary it looks like 45 sidewall height on 19 and 40 on the 20. Does anyone have any thoughts on if that is a significant difference for avoiding tire issues/ride quality etc? I have had quite large tires on a vehicle now so it seems pretty low profile to me.

I'm also waiting on a LR AWD with the 19’’ Gemini wheels. I like the looks of the 20" induction wheels much more but I live in the northeast where there are lots of potholes and I'm concerned about the comparative endurance of these wheels. Can people please weigh in on this?

I'm also waiting on a LR AWD with the 19’’ Gemini wheels. I like the looks of the 20" induction wheels much more but I live in the northeast where there are lots of potholes and I'm concerned about the comparative endurance of these wheels. Can people please weigh in on this?

You made the right choice. You're saving 2k over the induction wheels and for that price you can get some strong, decent looking aftermarket 19s with tires that will not only retain the 45 series profile for protection but also provide the best mileage.

I've had and will likely buy again Konig Ampliforms. They have a 19x9.5 5x114.3 et35. They are sold at discount tire and come in around 1k for the wheels. Had 18s on my Forester and after having a run in with a curb, can confirm they are quite strong.

U4YUFlZ.jpg

19s on a model 3:

4417_xlarge.jpg

Discount Tire sells them....I've used Discount Tire for all my needs over the last several years. It will vary by location but the one by me is fantastic. You'll need lugs and the ones Discount sells are pretty junky and didn't last a single winter without significant oxidation/corrosion.

Ended up buying black Muteki lugs and they did much better.