Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Tracking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Have tried to search but couldn't find much, so I apologise if this is a stupid question!

I collected my M3LR on the 23rd Dec. and have noticed this week that the wheel tracking (I assume) isn't quite right as when on the motorway the car is pulling to the right. The car has done just under 600 miles.

Is this something I can log as a service request via the app or is it a case of visiting a wheel place as with any normal car (slightly worried as read a few things about needing special jacking points)?

The car is also a leased company car (the first I've had) so I'm not sure if I should be paying for this or them if the latter of the two options? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

This post talks about entering service mode to check the steering wheel offset. I haven't verified any of this, just passing it on.

Hi all,

Have tried to search but couldn't find much, so I apologise if this is a stupid question!

I collected my M3LR on the 23rd Dec. and have noticed this week that the wheel tracking (I assume) isn't quite right as when on the motorway the car is pulling to the right. The car has done just under 600 miles.

Is this something I can log as a service request via the app or is it a case of visiting a wheel place as with any normal car (slightly worried as read a few things about needing special jacking points)?

The car is also a leased company car (the first I've had) so I'm not sure if I should be paying for this or them if the latter of the two options? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

You can certainly log this as a service request. You will need to stick to your guns that the car has been doing this since you got it otherwise they will charge you for any work. As I'm sure you know tracking on any car can be knocked out of whack by hitting a pothole ...

Reactions: AshleyM3LR
Hi all,

If you drove 600 miles with the wheels needing alignment, you will need new tyres first.

Thanks for the feedback.

It's certainly not wildly out - if I'm driving at 70 on a straight road and let go of the wheel it slowly starts to drift sideways after 10-15 seconds or so.

And the reason that I've only just started to notice was because the first 500 miles or so were just "around town" driving! It may well have been a pot hole, so perhaps the best route is to just find a local wheel place with laser alignment and get them to sort it as from memory it's only about £40 (assuming there is no difference from a normal ICE car!).

It's certainly not wildly out - if I'm driving at 70 on a straight road and let go of the wheel it slowly starts to drift sideways after 10-15 seconds or so.

In my experience it's the slight ones that are the most infuriating ... you end up thinking you're imagining things. The other problem is that all cars drift left after 10 or 15 seconds when the tracking is correct due to the crown on the road. I'm going to guess it's probably less than 10 or 15 seconds for you 'cause that's quite a long time to have hands off the wheel!

Think about any crown in the road you are driving. If you are going 10-15 seconds without any steering correction, gravity is going to pull a perfectly aligned vehicle in the direction of gravity eventually. Usually this will be a movement toward the nearest road shoulder. If it pulls in the direction of the nearest shoulder when driving on the "wrong side of the road", then the other shoulder when driving on the "right side of the road" then you are likely well aligned. I used to wonder about past cars I've owned when we lived on a road that sharply crowned, and did this test. Tried it on our M3 when I've wondered if it's me or the car. Regarding service, I would take it to Tesla - if there is a recurring problem, it can be tracked...

Sorry, 10-15 seconds was a dumb over exaggeration on reflection and you're right, it's probably more like 3-5 seconds!

@Jedisparky Interestingly yes, autopilot does correct the drift and I had no issues using that today.

I've emailed the lease company to see if this is something they cover but if not I'll take it for laser alignment somewhere local.

• Informative
Reactions: Jedisparky
Be aware the place you take it may not have the jacking pucks needed. Although I would presume most places would have dealt with Teslas by now. Not sure what's involved in tracking measurement/adjusting these days - haven't had it done for years. I must be lucky!!