Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare full sized wheel for M3 - UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my spare tyre kit now consists of:
1. Second hand Tesla M3 (OEM) alloy wheel - £99. [Tesla confirms the oem numbers ending in A,B or C are all interchangeable].
2. Budget (new) tyre with correct load rating for sidewall (98W or Y in UK).- £70.
3. Low profile 3 tonne scissor jack (stronger than 2 tonne jack) with ratchet handle and bag - £30.
4. 2nd scissor jack (to jack up other end of car if punctured end of car is too low to get a jack under vehicle). £15.
5. Telescopic handled wrench (21mm). £7.
6. 1 x chock to prevent car from moving when on jack(s). £3.

Miscellaneous: gloves. plywood square to act as base (for soft/uneven ground).
Total cost (UK): £225.

Why am I carrying a full sized spare?
1. UK Tesla RA tell me they don't change wheels on the side of the road. They flatbed you to a destination of your choice (up to 50 miles). Basically that is either a garage or home.
2. Tesla RA drops you off at destination STILL with puncture. If at home, you still need a spare. If at garage - it may be closed/out of hours/too far away. What then? Taxi? Hang around for hours? Pay full price for a "special tesla tyre" because you have no choice?
3. I may be travelling to an important meeting; to the airport for a flight; catching a ferry; on holiday. No spare - no continue!
4. A space saver limits me to 50mph. Not clever on a motorway! Not clever if I have hundreds of miles to complete my journey.

My wife reminds me that if she is driving and experiences a puncture - she will not be changing the wheel. That's fine. TRA simply brings her home and I will do it on my drive.
Failing that, we have an alternative breakdown service and they have stated they will change a tyre on the side of the road and use our spare.

In summary - for the sake of £225, I have peace of mind. And the beauty of it all is that when I sell the car - the spare wheel kit will be sold separately (either to the new buyer or online). I expect it to sell quickly because the nearest equivalent in the UK doesn't exist.
(a) Only space saver kits exist.
(b) The cheapest of these is £200 without 2nd jack, torque wrench or chock.

Not sure i'd bother with 2 jacks. I've got a wheel chock/ramp thing that I can gently nudge the car onto to give me that extra space to get the jack underneath it.

That said...i'm still using the piece of crap road hero jack and the last time I did it was bowing like a good'n - i've been meaning to pick up a decent jack to replace it so I'd be interested in what one your using?

50 isn't ideal on a motorway but your only 6 mph slower than most trucks so its not the end of the world. I ran around on one for a couple weeks when my alloy was being refurbished. But I wouldn't want to do LONG distance on it granted, but unless its at night you could probably find a tyre firm within a reasonable distance to get the tyre sorted.

Thanks for your replies guys.
Billbrown - I understand what you mean regarding 2 x jacks! I did think of a wooden chock on which to drive up onto to give ground clearance but I had a spare jack from a car years ago, so used that, but you've got me thinking chock again now!

Wiixm - copied that with TPMS. Cheapest round here are £60 + vat each (fitted). NOT impressed. Let's hope they work for the next 8-10 years!

By the way, I didn't bother using a TPMS on the spare: (a) silly money, (b) a 5th TPMS being monitored onboard 'may' confuse the software, (c) I can live with the TPMS caption while the original is being fixed.

Final Job:

I bought the rim off Ebay for £99. (Mint condition)
Tyre is new £70.
Jack (2.5t) + ratchet+telescopic arm £18
Spare jack free
Chocks free
Cover £10
Expanding foam £10.

Total: £210.

I lined the alloy insert with clingfilm - then had great fun using the expanding foam to fill the recess. After it cured I cut profiles out to accept the different items (dead easy to work with using a sharp penknife).

In addition to what you see here, I have added a 12" circular 3 ply wooden base plate for uneven ground, chocks and gloves.

I'll sell the kit once the Tesla is sold.

Z

Attachments

• Complete spare.jpg
    Complete spare.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 259
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 48
  • infill.jpg
    infill.jpg
    832.2 KB · Views: 38
  • spare wheel.jpg
    spare wheel.jpg
    804.2 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Nick77
I've followed this with a bit of interest as I was toying with getting an emergency spare for roadtrips but a full sized makes sense.
We were at a show at the NEC today and I happened to notice this company offering bags for everything and before I could ask if they had a bag for a spare wheel, spotted this:-
No affiliation, they have several types and custom size available, just thought it might help someone?

Attachments

• 20231021_124050.jpg
    20231021_124050.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
I read this thread Saturday night and then Sunday morning woke up to an alert of a potential flat tyre 😂😂 rear right was on 13 PSI.

First time in a car without a spare wheel.

Fortunately i have a Sainsbury's petrol station v close by so I eased over, refilled with air and then drove a few minutes and saw it dropping again (slowly). Managed to get it to a kwikfit and they repaired (found a nail within 15 seconds of looking).

If I hadn't been able to drive it myself, then yep it would have had to be towed / put on a flatbed

If I hadn't been able to drive it myself, then yep it would have had to be towed / put on a flatbed
Not really. Kwikfit has a mobile service that can fix it wherever you are or at home. And of course, it may be the next day or the same day depending on the availability of tyres. So a spare tyre is the pragmatic solution if you want to fix it quickly.

Reactions: init6
I read this thread Saturday night and then Sunday morning woke up to an alert of a potential flat tyre

I should never have read this thread ...

Got a red alert on dashboard that PSI was critically low on Front Left. I assume the TPS was duff for a bit ... Doh! ... and once it had got down to 5PSI I pulled over to have a look. Got the cigarette lighter pump out, and pumped it up to 30 PSI (that took long enough ...). Next leg of my journey was dual carriageway, I was about 5 miles from destination and 10 miles from home. Decided "home" was better choice, very annoying as all I had to do was pick something up ....

One further stop on the way home (didn't risk below 7PSI that time!) and got home. Its about time to fit my Winters, so got them from shed into boot. My preferred garage busy until Monday, so I'll pump it up and take it in then. I've got "plugs", but I'm pretty sure inflated to 40 PSI (I'll time it) will get me there, and the tread level on the tire is almost at "replace" anyway ... so they can sort that on my Summers and I'll pick them back up another day.

I had aerosol can of gunge, but decided not to use that (in case it mucks up the foam lining / ability to fix the puncture)

Last puncture probably 10, maybe 15 ... heck could even be 20 years ago. I don't remember a puncture when in a car with no spare, and I haven't had a spare for the last 5 or so cars ... 3-years each, sometimes 5, would be 15-20 years ...

I know the feeling. We still have our Volvo 850 which was converted to LPG some decades ago with a spare wheel well tank. I usually didn't carry the space saver spare but on my way home on the motorway one evening did get a blowout and I had it with me.
That's the only time in over four decades of driving that I've had a tyre issue that wasn't a flat on the drive.
My second hand Gemini alloy off eBay arrived today, now the decision as to whether to pop something cheap on it or wait until a tyre renewal and pick the best one.

I've changed the OEM MYP wheels to some (nice) TSportline 19s - much more forgiving. So I lob one of the OEMs in the back when it's just me and the wife travelling. It's a lump of a thing but doesn't stop us getting our baggage in and would get us out of a hole if needed. I use the smaller width front wheel as a spare, so there is a mismatch, but the rolling diameter is the same and it would work to get us to a tyre shop or at least to a safer place. But it's not so much of a mismatch as those Road Hero space-savers.

I've also got a low-profile jack and a couple of mini-ramps in the sub-boot and the wheel sits in a cheap (but usable) cover sourced from Amazon. Not needed it yet but there in case. I've also got a plug kit but the prospect of using that in the dark and pi$$ing rain isn't great - I'd just stick the spare on.

Reactions: djtaylor
spon88 - glad you;ve invested in a spare. Hope it'll never see daylight!
Question for you - have you tested the arrangement yet (in the comfort of your driveway)?

I did and identified the appaling lack of ground clearance with a flat tyre. On the M3, the cill clearance drops from 3.5" inflated to 1.5" with a flat!!!
To accommodate this, I jacked up the other end of the car (same side obviously!) to enable the flat tyre area to be raised sufficiently for me to get another jack underneath. [Not forgetting the use of the hockey pucks].

In hindsight I am now going to use the wooden ramp(s) to gain that extra ground clearance instead of a 2nd scissor jack.

Don't forget a 21mm telescopic tyre lever to undo the wheel nuts and a piece of ply to rest the scissor link on if you have uneven ground.

[Of course none of this matters if you call out some breakdown companies (not TRA) and warn them in advance that you have a spare - they will change the wheel for you!].

Z

I've also got a low-profile jack and a couple of mini-ramps in the sub-boot and the wheel sits in a cheap (but usable) cover sourced from Amazon.
What jack have you got? The one that I have is plan Z only - its got a small flat section with a small 'nipple' on it which would be nowhere as stable as the saddle on a larger jack! I keep saying that I need to find a suitable adaptor, but never got around to it. My pucks are solid so wont work with the jack.

The trolly jack in the garage (and off season tyres) is on hand if the puncture is relatively local, or cannot be pumped back (pump carried in boot) up or I can't get AA out.

spon88 - glad you;ve invested in a spare. Hope it'll never see daylight!
Question for you - have you tested the arrangement yet (in the comfort of your driveway)?

I did and identified the appaling lack of ground clearance with a flat tyre. On the M3, the cill clearance drops from 3.5" inflated to 1.5" with a flat!!!
To accommodate this, I jacked up the other end of the car (same side obviously!) to enable the flat tyre area to be raised sufficiently for me to get another jack underneath. [Not forgetting the use of the hockey pucks].

In hindsight I am now going to use the wooden ramp(s) to gain that extra ground clearance instead of a 2nd scissor jack.

Don't forget a 21mm telescopic tyre lever to undo the wheel nuts and a piece of ply to rest the scissor link on if you have uneven ground.

[Of course none of this matters if you call out some breakdown companies (not TRA) and warn them in advance that you have a spare - they will change the wheel for you!].

Z
It's not actually a spare as such, it's one of the original MYP wheels which I've switched out for 19s. But it should work fine as a spare.

I've switched wheels before and the worst part is the weight, particularly the 21" OEM wheels on the MYP, but it's doable. My compact trolley jack is fine but for a puncture scenario, I've got a couple of small ramps stored in the car. I've also got a decent tyre lever and suitable socket in with the jack kit, so hopefully everything I need. But as you say, I'd prefer not to need it!

The other bits I have in the car for this scenario are thin gloves, wet wipes and a disposable overall as it's a messy old job. Plus a pump of course.

There will be times when I can't get the spare in (4 up with luggage) but then so be it and we'd be calling on the AA or European equivalent. Where I do have space, it's easy enough to have the spare in, just in case.

Thanks for your insights and hopefuly you stay puncture free!

What jack have you got? The one that I have is plan Z only - its got a small flat section with a small 'nipple' on it which would be nowhere as stable as the saddle on a larger jack! I keep saying that I need to find a suitable adaptor, but never got around to it. My pucks are solid so wont work with the jack.

The trolly jack in the garage (and off season tyres) is on hand if the puncture is relatively local, or cannot be pumped back (pump carried in boot) up or I can't get AA out.
I have a Wolf low profile jack, off Amazon if I recall. Lifts around 2.25 tonnes and has a couple of sockets and handle etc. Decent price and mine has been fine although only used it a few times. The box fits very nicely in the sub-boot area so I just leave it in there.

The lifting saddle does not accommodate the standard puck but it does come with a hard rubber insert which sits nicely on the jacking point if you position it carefully. I guess I'd assess the ground etc before I used it when travelling, however it does work and should help me get going again reasonably swiftly if I did puncture. I think it's about 20 minutes or so to change a wheel, so I think I'd prefer to have a crack at that if it looked like a long wait for the AA.