Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Wells & sound deadening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was interested in determining the mechanics of sound deadening. I installed a new Dishwasher this weekend. My wife was less than pleased I chosen a $600.00 model vs $1500.00 model even though I had researched the noise difference was very little, to justify the price difference.

So once again 2 weeks ago I decided to go the less expensive option, I chose new Snow Tires on New Rims from a local supplier versus the Tesla option, thereby saving $700.00 CDN.

Now on to the real story:

I had a chance to have a closer look at the wheel wells while the existing wheels were removed, while the car was on the lift.The crap Tesla installed for sound deadening in the wheel wheels is almost criminal. The installation of the material was an afterthought, as if to say "Bimbos that buy this car will ever look here". In most instances the liner is not even fastened to anything. Snow and Salt can easily get between the liner and the steel frame of the car. Even if you take your garden hose in the winter and properly wash the wheel wheels, like I'm used to doing, you may not be able to remove all the salt that becomes trapped between the liner and the car frame.

Elon, put this on your do list: "Look under the wheel well of the Model 3"

There are some wheel liners on eBay. Those in conjunction with dynamat or other sound deadener may reduce road noise. FWIW my 2020 is quieter inside than my 2019 while driving.
Do you have any db measurements of the difference in cabin noise? There seems to be a few of you who are rocking both pre-quiet cabin and new and improved cabin M3s and it would be awesome if someone was willing to do some sort of inspection/ teardown to try identify the improvements that were made.

I wonder if checking the areas that people have been trying to DIY to improve noise would give us anything? Do you see any difference in wheel wells/liners, door seals/jambs, trunk insulation, sunroof seals, etc.?

Do you have any db measurements of the difference in cabin noise? There seems to be a few of you who are rocking both pre-quiet cabin and new and improved cabin M3s and it would be awesome if someone was willing to do some sort of inspection/ teardown to try identify the improvements that were made.

I wonder if checking the areas that people have been trying to DIY to improve noise would give us anything? Do you see any difference in wheel wells/liners, door seals/jambs, trunk insulation, sunroof seals, etc.?
No - don't have a bd meter and don't really care. I haven't crawled in to look at wheel well liners as I had to leave town the day I took 2020 delivery. No visual difference in seals, trunk, door jambs. It is noticeably quieter and noticed a few miles after delivery at highway speeds.