Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did Supercharing get so expensive and why are Time of Use rates so varied (SE FL)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMBURNSY

3/22 MX LR 6 Seats - ED Dec-Mar 2023
Apr 19, 2019
Naples, FL
I never paid attention to the supercharging rates I was paying on road trips in FL, until this weekend. I had assumed pricing was around $0.30/kWh and there was no time of use pricing (as an AZ transplant, I figured that TOU pricing was for those out West). I was in for a shock.

I looked at three stops I made in SE FL last weekend and was agahst at the cost and confused on the time of use. At each stop the rates varied and the time of use periods varied. Rates were from $0.17 to $0.50 and time of use periods ranged from none, three periods, or four periods. Why did one location have TOU overnight rate from 12 AM-4AM and another really close location it was 12 AM-8 AM? Why did one location have no TOU periods, same price all day? All these locations were withing a fifty-mile radius in SE FL.

Observations (obviously IMHO)...

1) Prices sure have increased and compared to my ICE car any costs above $0.32 is more expensive when gas is around $3.00/gal. Was paying 0.38-0.50 on a recent trip. This sux.
2) There is no transparency on the pricing, you have to click around on the map, and there is nowhere outside of the car where I can see pricing and plan my stops.
3) The TOU in no way aligns with the TOU periods that FPL has.
4) When supercharging is 66% off at the same location ($0.17 12AM-4:00 AM versus $0.50 8 AM-8 PM -.W Broward Blvd) you can bet that I will be staying up to charge overnight.
5) If Telsa is trying to drive demand and usage via its TOU periods, it should be prominently displaying the rates prior to navigation or at least show them during charging ('hey driver, come back in a couple of hours and the price will be 66% off'). Listing the current price along with the address and distance in the supercharge search list would be great.
6) I feel like Telsa is overcharging us in FL. FL has nationally low electric rates, and per this a large industrial customer would pay $0.062 per kWH with FPL. (https://es.fpl.com/content/dam/fplgp/us/en/rates/pdf/business-winter-2020.pdf) $0.30-$.35 feels fair, above that feels like Tesla is taking advantage.

My bad for not watching the prices and not paying attention. That will not happen again.

PS Don't take this as I am not appreciative of the supercharging network, I am, especially when you read the stories of other charging networks.

Demand charges likely.

Discourages everyone from using the stations at the peak time as well..

I charged at 2am coming home yesterday and the rate was the same as the daytime rate going to my destination 4 days ago. When I realized it was the same rate, I stopped charging and went to the EA station literally two blocks away (which was in the lot of a 24/7 Wal Mart). It was half the price and we had the convenience of Wal Mart being open. The Tesla charger was in the back lot of some suites hotel and they didn't allow anyone to use restrooms if they weren't a guest. I mean, FFS, whatever happened to competition? Did someone from Tesla look at the location and say this one is pretty shitty, let's spike the rates? I think they delayed the CCS release in the US to take advantage of so many cars on the road. A captive audience with nowhere to go! Now that the adapter is out and getting put to use, I hope they get competitive with their pricing.

I drove through Kingman AZ the other day and of course, needed to charge before continuing on towards Electrify America-country. The Tesla chargers were 250kW beasts and I was slammed with their unadvertised peak charging rates. There were TWO Teslas there with me. Two. Know how many empty chargers there were? At least 12.