Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do the brake lights come on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Probably a silly question....

Don't have my Y yet, only test drove one, but when doing one pedal driving when do the brake lights come on?

Do they come on when you let up on the accelerator pedal or only when you physically press the brake pedal?

Enquiring minds want to know...

Thanks,
Randy

when you let go of the accelerator pedal the brake light comes on.
The brake lights are triggered by deceleration rate or use of the brake pedal, not just the position of the accelerator pedal. So it depends on whether the car is headed uphill or downhill, as well as the accelerator pedal position. Generally, they light-up around 0.1g, whereas max regen deceleration in Tesla's is 0.3g. (Foot to the floor emergency braking can be over 1.0g.)

When I drove the Polestar 2 last week I specifically asked about this. The response was that if the car is decelerating at a rate that might be quicker than 'normal', the brake lights will come on. They don't automatically light up when you remove your foot from the accelerator. Sounds like the same is true for the Tesla (and, as noted, they should be visible on the avatar).

Reactions: Mightybhwk
Reviving an old thread as it was the only one that came up with a search about brake lights and avatar visualization (yes, I'm new around here, but been reading for 2+ years).

Just picked up our second Tesla, a '21 Model Y LR (we bought our first Model S a few years ago). Have noticed variation in the brake light visualization in the avatar during both regen, hold and even brake pedaling. Sometimes it's on, sometimes it flickers on then off, and many times it never shows on the avatar. Wondering if this is a service concern before I put in a ticket, or normal for the Y? Our MS is clearly on or off and never displays this behavior.