Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do you get a registration number

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When typing this question I saw other alarming threads that Tesla do not provide your registration number until the day (or day before) collection. Is that still the case and how do people go with insurance?
The VRN is allocated to the car usually a couple of weeks before collection. If you haven't had it within a week or so of your date, you should be able to get it from Tesla by contacting them on the chat & asking for it.

Tesla actually register the car and VRN with the DVLA on the day of your collection, so it won't appear on any systems until then. You may have to set up your insurance by contacting your insurer on the phone, as online systems will usually not recognise it. Some will accept a VIN on the phone, others will take the registration manually. As long as you register online & get a proper quotation from the website, companies tend to honour any online deals or discounts that they don't give on the phone. That's what Admiral did for me.

Reactions: Lee Davis
Is that still the case and how do people go with insurance?

Insurance companies are used to Registration Number (on new cars) being allocated close to collection ... but, yeah, bit of a pain to co-ordinate if everything happens in a bit of a rush, as is often the case with Tesla.

You may also find (if you are paying cash) that your Bank will only allow you to send a few quid each day ... so paying can take several days.

And if you have Admin-Snags with Tesla (e.g. 'coz of "Tesla Chaos") that may mean stuff isn't resolved until "tight" before collection.

Last car I had invoice was not resolved, and then payment made, until around 15:00 day before collection at 09:00 !

Reactions: Lee Davis