Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When do you sell TSLA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having two trusts now managed by others leaves me with only my modest portfolio to play with. And only TSLA is at all volatile. So I've been known to grab some at a low point and dump after a 10 or 20 point rise. Balancing cap gains vs char deductions is a crapshoot at best. Maybe there's an app for that. Just nice to pull the trigger and say: "I made $xxx cap gains today".
--

I do not believe in 'enough is enough'.

All it means is that you have fewer (or less) ideas on how to spend money than actual money. For me it was always the other way around. I tend to be frugal personally, but like projects. And I like to not have to justify them only on short term economic grounds.

TSLA so far financed some of my projects:

- a roadster
- a model S
- a car port with
- 30 kw solar by SPWR, making m ehome and my office energy+

Today I am selling the time value of options (mostly TSLA) to pay for my monthly expenses. The time value is just crazy high atm.

My core investment in TSLA stocks will probably not be sold until Tesla is not a wonderful company any more. Hopefully not in my lifetime (I'm 58). I hope that time value of options and one day dividends will continue to finance my family and upcoming projects.

Here's another thought to add to this thread...

I consider Elon Musk as having potential to be one of the greatest investors (if not the greatest) in our generation. And he's only 43 years old.

I was thinking about Warren Buffett earlier today and observing how lots of people made a lot of money by sticking with Buffett for all these years with Berkshire Hathaway stock. If Buffett would have retired or passed away in his 60s, then it most likely wouldn't have worked out as well for Berkshire Hathaway shareholders. But Warren Buffett is 83 years old and still going strong. He just loves what he does and he's really good at it. And the fact that he's been doing what he's doing for so long has led to some incredible compound growth over the years.

So, what if Elon Musk turns out to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, investor in our generation. And what if he lives and is still active until 83 years old (ie., like Warren Buffett). And what if people invested large portions of their assets in his companies when Elon was 43 years old (his current age) and held on for 40 years. I wonder what that would look like. What kind of returns would they have?

Here's another thought to add to this thread...

I consider Elon Musk as having potential to be one of the greatest investors (if not the greatest) in our generation. And he's only 43 years old.

I was thinking about Warren Buffett earlier today and observing how lots of people made a lot of money by sticking with Buffett for all these years with Berkshire Hathaway stock. If Buffett would have retired or passed away in his 60s, then it most likely wouldn't have worked out as well for Berkshire Hathaway shareholders. But Warren Buffett is 83 years old and still going strong. He just loves what he does and he's really good at it. And the fact that he's been doing what he's doing for so long has led to some incredible compound growth over the years.

So, what if Elon Musk turns out to be one of the greatest, if not the greatest, investor in our generation. And what if he lives and is still active until 83 years old (ie., like Warren Buffett). And what if people invested large portions of their assets in his companies when Elon was 43 years old (his current age) and held on for 40 years. I wonder what that would look like. What kind of returns would they have?
Both with great results but musk sooner. Big difference to me is that buffet never ran a company, only invested in them. Musk invested in companies with money and by running them

Well, I've been retired since 2008, and a little under 3/4 of my current shares is in my IRA brokerage account, so I have to pay taxes on some of it each year. I don't have so much in liquid assets that I can afford to pay on that without selling some of my shares. When I finished putting the remaining part of my IRA into TSLA about two years ago, it was about 30% of my remaining retirement portfolio. A fair amount had already been annuitized. After selling enough of my TSLA about 15 months ago to pay for my Model S, the current value of my TSLA in the IRA account is over 50% of the portfolio. Again, I have to take out a minimum amount every year. If TLSA ever gets above $1000/share, I'll probably sell most of it, but still keep some for sentimental reasons. Of course, I couldn't sell it all at once, or taxes would wipe out way too much of it. Remember taxes on an IRA aren't limited to the usual long-term capital gain. I bought the shares originally because I believed in what the company was trying to accomplish. Also, I never could have afforded the Model S if I hadn't done so.

P.S. By the time Elon is 83 he may be on Mars.

A couple decades ago I had a target that I hoped to achieve that was based on my past performance. And then reality set in as the market tells every temporarily successful investor when they are being unrealistic. So I reduced my target several times after that. But when I had enough to retire from the "working for someone" world, I left. I was 55 and had achieved enough to live off savings and a pension. I had moderate success in growing my assets in retirement. I had enough, but then TSLA comes along anxxd old targets were realized and they no longer mattered. Now there are new targets, just because. I think that is the problem with goals we achieve in that we need to strive for more, no matter what it is. Why is it never enough?

Ixx

Last edited:
Y'all can fly up here for the 40th in your Teslajets - the Copper River Red Salmon will be on me. Let's make it June 1, 2052. (if you invested later than 2012, you can still come.... ;))

The slight problem is at that time, I'll be two years older than Dad was when he died....and he lived a very, very very long time. Hmm.

For the 25th, I'll expect some of you to be doing the hosting. Who's on?

My A B C

My initial vague TSLA investment plan was to hold for few years, to catch the hype of new drivetrain technology. I was impressed with Tesla drivetrain with AC motor on top of battery skateboard. That looked so much better than any other car propelling gear. Investment in a business that was a car maker was unsettling for me. Car makers are not my cup of tea.

As Tesla continues to differentiate itself from the rest of the car making pack, my TSLA investment horizon expanded to several years. Tesla team seems to be quite creative. Supercharging infrastructure and self driving tech (if developed) may be two significant competitive edges.

The business is made stronger and more resilient by diversifying into batteries and energy storage. However this strength can turn into a weakness in unfavourable circumstances. Market is exuberant now, investors will overlook reports with no profits for as long as the revenues are growing and the money is used to expand business.

Market seems to be bipolar. Time will come when exuberance will wane and turn into fear. Cars sales are likely to decline in such times. My plan A is to sell off my whole portfolio including TSLA before that happens. Likelihood of plan A is low, as I am unlikely to see the turn coming.

Plan B is to sell some OTM covered calls on highs (like now) and if my calls get exercised so be it. TSLA is still volatile so I expect some drops after highs. If some of my shares get called, I plan to repurchase on a drop (not easy). Plan B kicks in now and is in force until either plan A or C kicks in.

Plan C kicks in when model 3 is released. If I still have shares then, I plan to sell some every year, to reduce the amount of tax.

If brilliant Tesla team comes up with some new business ideas I will reevaluate my plans. That scenario is likely.