Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is a "+" a "+"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off the top - I apologize for any redundancy - I know this is covered...kind of

So on paper I know it has been covered what is different between a P85 and a P85+ ... I am curious is what those differences LOOK LIKE. Bigger rear tires are obvious, but what about the larger/and different suspension. Are there obvious/easy visual cues that show that your car has all the bits that a + has (giving that the car IS a +).

What sparked this thought is that I recently received a CPO P85+ that, while having the correct bumper badging, only showed "P85" on the info screen (when you tap the Tesla logo top center in the display screen). Now I am fully assuming that this is just a glitch in the system, but being a guy that has come from years of wrenching on racecars...I thought it would be fun to crawl under the car just for fun to lay my eyes on the parts that set the + apart for the P85.

So if anyone is good at describing these parts (or better - has pictures!), please post up. And thank you in advance!

The screen can be programmed to have a PLUS if it really is a plus. Or you can crawl underneath and verify these part numbers.

Tesla.jpg

So on paper I know it has been covered what is different between a P85 and a P85+ ... I am curious is what those differences LOOK LIKE. Bigger rear tires are obvious, but what about the larger/and different suspension. Are there obvious/easy visual cues that show that your car has all the bits that a + has (giving that the car IS a +).

What sparked this thought is that I recently received a CPO P85+ that, while having the correct bumper badging, only showed "P85" on the info screen (when you tap the Tesla logo top center in the display screen). Now I am fully assuming that this is just a glitch in the system, but being a guy that has come from years of wrenching on racecars...I thought it would be fun to crawl under the car just for fun to lay my eyes on the parts that set the + apart for the P85.

So if anyone is good at describing these parts (or better - has pictures!), please post up. And thank you in advance!

Here is an excerpt from my WIKI on Model S Options.... this is from the 2013 Model Year....

The Model S P85+ Performance Plus edition was announced in the Design Studio in April 2013. It required staggered 21” performance Turbine wheels (in silver or grey) and tires (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2’s 20 mm wider in the rear). Suspension dynamics were improved for performance and comfort via upgraded dampers, bushings and stabilizer bars. Early P85+ specimens shipped with black brake calipers and often did not show the P85+ model designation in the 17" display. (per Andrewket, SharkDiver76 & HankLloydRight). Later the Brembo disc brake calipers on the P85+ are painted red with white TESLA lettering, (on both the front & rear calipers) (the red disc brake calipers were not available on any other model at the time)

Hope this may help... also if you contact the afore mentioned TMC members, they may be able to shed some more light on the matter....

Art

I have an early plus also, which didn't show the plus on the screens. i emailed customer service, and the next morning the plus was on the info and gauge cluster screens. shoot them an email!

While my car was in for scheduled service, I asked the advisor if a suspension upgrade from P85 to P85+ would be possible. I have air ride. I was told that in addition to the following parts I would need to upgrade to the P85+ shocks at $850 a piece, plus labor. Cost of the parts below is approximately $1200 plus 4 shocks is about $3600, so we are looking at $5K in parts...excluding labor. If there is another post on the same topic please let me know and I can post the update there.

PART

PART NUMBER

FRONT STABILIZER BAR ASSEMBLY

1020245-00-A

RR STABAR PASSIVE SUSP PERF PLUS

1020241-00-A

RR SUSP TOE LINK ASSY PERF PLUS

1021420-00-A

RR SUSP INTEGRAL LINK ASSY PERF PLUS

1021422-00-A