Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is it time to trade in Dual Motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, age is probably a bigger factor than cycles. I think JB Straubel indicated a 15 yr life for most batteries before going kaput.

Do you have a source for the above quote?

That's the opposite of what Musk twitted in April 2019:
"Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). "

How many very high mileage over 300,000 Teslas are there on the road with the original battery packs?

Obviously, not a lot.
75K miles/year (or 1,442 miles/week) is not your typical driving pattern.

Isn't the battery more affected by age than mileage?

It's effected by the charging cycles, which can be loosely proxied by mileage and / or age.

a

Reactions: navguy12
Do you have a source for the above quote?

That's the opposite of what Musk twitted in April 2019:
"Model 3 drive unit & body is designed like a commercial truck for a million mile life. Current battery modules should last 300k to 500k miles (1500 cycles). "

Obviously, not a lot.
75K miles/year (or 1,442 miles/week) is not your typical driving pattern.

It's effected by the charging cycles, which can be loosely proxied by mileage and / or age.

a

Sure.

Its been discussed in other threads. I'm sure if a battery is never used, it will probably last longer than 15 years but will still have significant degradation. The battery section of the Model 3 forums has a massive thread on calendar aging vs. cycle use and it seems the calendar aging is more detrimental than cycle use.

A whole lot that is correct and a whole lot of garbage….

Like “EVs…will ALWAYS start first time - even on cold/wet days.” Teslas have the same type 12v battery as an ICE, the reason ICEs don’t start sometimes in the cold is due to low voltage in The 12v, a tesla can have the same problem with a dead 12v.

Also EVs are mechanically simple but electrically complex. My bet is that circuit boards, wiring harnesses, CPUs,… will be the end of many EVs 10-15 years from now way before motors and batteries.

And mechanically, they are simple but still have: CVS, diffs, racks, gear boxes,…. Over 4 years with my LR AWD and I’m starting to think about my differentials. These cars have a ton of torque, traditional open diffs, and no recommended interval for diff fluid.
Where do I start?? The 12-volt battery is not what starts an EV, but it MUST be in TOP shape to start a gas engine. It may turn on the dash lights, but it's not like the cranking amps required for a gas car. What starts an EV is the 400-volt traction battery, which is also used to keep the 12-volt battery charged to its preferred amps. It is HIGHLY unlikely that a 12-volt battery will suddenly quit working, partly because the car monitors its batteries and alerts the driver when they become harder to charge, even to recommending getting a service appointment.

Circuit boards, wiring harnesses and CPUs exist in gas cars. How can those items be the death of EVs "way before motors and batteries?" Gas engines wear themselves out, require constant maintenance, and still leak oil and vibrate, while EVs have none of those problems.

And finally, yes they are "simple". Of course, they still have a lot of other stuff required to keep a car on the road. EVs have windshields, vent fans, radios and door latches, but those don't make it run. I've owned four EVs now, two with over 100,000 miles on them. Never a problem with CVs, diffs, racks, gear boxes, or differentials, and no need to replace or top up fluid in anything.

EVs are just better. If you prefer the noise, the air pollution, the vibration, the constant maintenance of a gas engine, then fine, but when I bought my first EV back in 2002, I figured I'd never own another gas engine powered car.

Where do I start?? The 12-volt battery is not what starts an EV, but it MUST be in TOP shape to start a gas engine. It may turn on the dash lights, but it's not like the cranking amps required for a gas car. What starts an EV is the 400-volt traction battery, which is also used to keep the 12-volt battery charged to its preferred amps. It is HIGHLY unlikely that a 12-volt battery will suddenly quit working, partly because the car monitors its batteries and alerts the driver when they become harder to charge, even to recommending getting a service appointment.

Circuit boards, wiring harnesses and CPUs exist in gas cars. How can those items be the death of EVs "way before motors and batteries?" Gas engines wear themselves out, require constant maintenance, and still leak oil and vibrate, while EVs have none of those problems.

And finally, yes they are "simple". Of course, they still have a lot of other stuff required to keep a car on the road. EVs have windshields, vent fans, radios and door latches, but those don't make it run. I've owned four EVs now, two with over 100,000 miles on them. Never a problem with CVs, diffs, racks, gear boxes, or differentials, and no need to replace or top up fluid in anything.

EVs are just better. If you prefer the noise, the air pollution, the vibration, the constant maintenance of a gas engine, then fine, but when I bought my first EV back in 2002, I figured I'd never own another gas engine powered car.
Woah buddy calm down. I’ve had 2 Teslas over the last 8 years. My model S wouldn’t start on 2 occasions due to a dead 12v from the cold, first time it was -30F, and it sucked. If anything my Teslas are more at risk because I can’t fit a 12v battery warmer in them, now I replace the 12v proactively every 3rd fall.

In the last 30 years I’ve had 2 vehicles (Audi, BMW) “die”, that is were more expensive to repair then they were worth, both were due to wiring/electronics.

And if we are being honest ICEs are pretty low maintenance and hassle free for the fist 150-200k miles in most modern reliable cars.

Both my current Lexus and MB are quieter and smoother then either tesla.

For the most part we have no idea how long EVs will last, as there are relatively very few that have been around for >3 years.

Personally if I ever buy another new ICE is will be a hobby car (track car but really considering getting back into ice (as in frozen lakes) racing). EVs are better than ICEs in many ways, Just not immortal.

I don’t fool myself that the EVs are environmentally conscious. For that I bike commute ~80% of the time, year round in Alaska, try and never buy new clothes, don’t buy meat I don’t harvest, and would like to eliminate using single use plastics.

Reactions: navguy12