Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to start charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With all other factors the same, your battery will degrade faster by letting it discharge further before charging. Do a little digging and you will find data supporting this. I’m guessing your X’s battery degradation was due to a combination of factors 1, 3, and 4 *despite* factor 2.

Set limit to 60% +/-, plug in when you can, and try not to stress about it.

• Helpful
Reactions: kithytom
If 60% is your target SOC then consider maintaining the battery between 50% and 60%, or 40% and 60%.

I would suggest setting an off-peak rate window that ends at 0600 or 0700 (even though you are not currently on a TOU rate plan.) The utility power demand is generally lower between midnight and 0630 so you would be helping reduce the need for additional power generation if you charge, complete charging during this time.

When you charge the Tesla Model Y the battery pack is warmed from the charging session. If you leave at approximately the same time, Monday through Friday, this would be shortly after the charging session completes. You can set the Climate Control Preconditioning to always precondition the passenger cabin to your desired temperature by the time you normally leave for your commute. The Tesla Model Y heat pump will be able to direct warm coolant from the battery pack to help warm the passenger cabin using less energy to warm the passenger cabin than if the battery pack was cold.
Good advice, I will prabobly start to charge as you suggested instead of charging right after parked to alleviate the grid demand.
For some reason my Model X had significant degration over the years (charge whenever I park and 90% limit). I don't know if it's my charging practice or Tesla's early QAQC to blame. I still want to give it a try to charge from a certain lower level. Perhaps 20%-60% for the new Model Y.

Good advice, I will prabobly start to charge as you suggested instead of charging right after parked to alleviate the grid demand.
For some reason my Model X had significant degration over the years (charge whenever I park and 90% limit). I don't know if it's my charging practice or Tesla's early QAQC to blame. I still want to give it a try to charge from a certain lower level. Perhaps 20%-60% for the new Model Y.

The TL ; DR of what people are trying to convey to you here, is this....

The "absolute best" thing you could do for your cars battery longevity would be to set the car to 50% charge, plug it in on a charger, and never drive it. The closer you get to "set it to 50% and never drive it" the longer your battery will likely last. Charging from 40% to 60% is closer to "50% and never drive it" than 20% to 60%.

The TL ; DR of what people are trying to convey to you here, is this....

The "absolute best" thing you could do for your cars battery longevity would be to set the car to 50% charge, plug it in on a charger, and never drive it. The closer you get to "set it to 50% and never drive it" the longer your battery will likely last. Charging from 40% to 60% is closer to "50% and never drive it" than 20% to 60%.
Got it thanks. Instead of low state of charge like 20%, the battery should be at 50% whenever possible for optimal cycle life, so 40-60% is the most practical way of archiving it.
I guess the practice that I really should avoid is "plugging in as often as possible" AND set limit too high.
Now it makes sense that those many many 70% -> 90% charges on my previous Model X must be one of the factors leading to siginificant degradation.

Got it thanks. Instead of low state of charge like 20%, the battery should be at 50% whenever possible for optimal cycle life, so 40-60% is the most practical way of archiving it.
I guess the practice that I really should avoid is "plugging in as often as possible" AND set limit too high.
Now it makes sense that those many many 70% -> 90% charges on my previous Model X must be one of the factors leading to siginificant degradation.

There is no reason to avoid "plugging in as often as possible", either. just set the scheduled charge time to the middle of the night, the percentage to 60% and go on about your business.