Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we know the specs for the P-AWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a newbie here and new to Tesla. I placed an order for a model 3 in April of 2016.
I have heard that at rollout there will be very few options beyond color and wheel size.
Will there be range or other options as well or are we still in wait and see mode?
Range will be determined by battery size and if they offer the larger battery first then you get the range that comes with that, otherwise you can choose the smaller battery.... or you can wait for AWD.

I am a newbie here and new to Tesla. I placed an order for a model 3 in April of 2016.
I have heard that at rollout there will be very few options beyond color and wheel size.
Will there be range or other options as well or are we still in wait and see mode?

Hi kierants. Welcome to the forum. Elon has said there will be many fewer choices for the Model 3 than there are for the Model S, but I don't think we know any details yet. We know that AWD and the Performance version will not be available until later, but I think that pretty much everything else is speculation at this point.

Interesting news ... Tesla introduces new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X

Tesla has updated its vehicle lineup last night to introduce new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X – making the non-performance versions of both vehicles significantly quicker from a standstill. Here we take a quick look at the updated features: The improvements are more significant for the base versions of the Model S. The Model S 75 and its dual motor version are both gaining a full second of acceleration from 0 to 60 mph:

• Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
As for the more recent Model S 100D, it’s also seeing a slight improvement in acceleration:
  • Model S 100D: 4.1 seconds down from 4.2 seconds
The bigger Model X, which is only available with dual motor, is also seeing some new performance enhancements:
  • Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds
  • Model X 100D: 4.7 seconds down from 5.5 seconds.
Interestingly, those upgrades are also coming just ahead of the launch of the Model 3 and since they are most important on the base versions of the vehicles, it looks like Tesla might be looking to further differentiate its higher-end models, Model S and Model X, with its newest less expensive Model 3.

Interesting news ... Tesla introduces new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X

Tesla has updated its vehicle lineup last night to introduce new performance enhancements to Model S and Model X – making the non-performance versions of both vehicles significantly quicker from a standstill. Here we take a quick look at the updated features: The improvements are more significant for the base versions of the Model S. The Model S 75 and its dual motor version are both gaining a full second of acceleration from 0 to 60 mph:

• Model 75: 4.3 seconds down from 5.5 seconds
  • Model S 75D: 4.2 seconds down from 5.2 seconds
As for the more recent Model S 100D, it’s also seeing a slight improvement in acceleration:
  • Model S 100D: 4.1 seconds down from 4.2 seconds
The bigger Model X, which is only available with dual motor, is also seeing some new performance enhancements:
  • Model X 75D: 4.9 seconds down from 6.0 seconds
  • Model X 100D: 4.7 seconds down from 5.5 seconds.
Interestingly, those upgrades are also coming just ahead of the launch of the Model 3 and since they are most important on the base versions of the vehicles, it looks like Tesla might be looking to further differentiate its higher-end models, Model S and Model X, with its newest less expensive Model 3.

Part of me doesn't know how to take this news if the base Model 3 is going to stay at 5.x seconds...
I can't tell if I'm happy for future Model S owners (which I won't be one due to size and cost) or if I'm disappointed in the listed potential base Model 3 acceleration which physically should be capable of similar numbers even with a smaller pack.

Either 5.x or 4.x seconds would still be faster than any particular car that I've personally ever owned so I shouldn't be complaining.

I still think it'd be cool if the base Model 3 were to be able to outperform the all wheel drive BMW 340i at 4.6 seconds.