Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where can I find accurate information on what different M3s come with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where can I find accurate information on what different M3s come with? I have a 2020 M3 SR+ with FSD that I'm thinking of selling to get a new M3 but I'd like to get an accurate list of features of the different trims along with what's been improved since my 2020 M3, that was built in 2019. I haven't kept up on the changes.

I've searched all over the place plus I'd prefer to not have to sift through a 700 comment thread.

Thank you but I've looked at that site. What I'm looking for is something like, the RWD 2023 M3 comes with these features and this hardware. I'm looking for answers like, does it come with a heated steering wheel, the new chipset, the 5mp cameras, so on and so forth. This is one area where Tesla falls short. I know they change things all the time. I would think that someone would have an updated list of what these cars come with.

Some changes since 2020 for the SR+ / RWD version (my2022 = model year 2022, cy2022 = calendar year 2022):
  • Refresh for my2021 had various changes, many of which were noticed here: 25 Changes That Tesla Made To The Model 3 With The 2021 Refresh . Some of the more noticed ones:
    • Heat pump heating (more efficient in cold weather).
    • Front window double pane glass.
    • USB C instead of USB A ports.
    • Global ("matrix") instead of Premium headlamps (but see below).
  • Radar removed (May 2021). Cruise control etc. software initially noticeably less capable, but gradually improved over time. Recent versions of software no longer use radar even on older cars that have it.
  • USB ports in console storage power only (late cy2021; completely missing in some cars).
  • Heated (all) seats and steering wheel became standard instead of extra cost software enabled upgrade (not sure when).
  • LFP battery (54kWh LFP for some late my2021 while other late my2021 had 54 kWh NCA; 60kWh LFP for my2022+). LFP battery appears to have less degradation, but BMS could lose true state of charge if the state of charge cycles between ~20% and 99% (the "flat" part of the voltage curve) for a long period of time. LFP batteries are also larger and heavier for the same capacity compared to NCA batteries.
  • AMD Ryzen replaces Intel Atom infotainment processor (starting early cy2022).
  • Low voltage battery changed to lithium ion instead of lead acid (starting early cy2022).
  • Some cars randomly got Premium versus Global headlamps (cy2022).
  • Ultrasonic sensors for parking removed (October 2022); software replacement still not fully functional.
  • Some cars with 18" wheels randomly got Hankook Kinergy GT instead of Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires (cy2022).
  • Some cars got global (current Model Y with amber turn signal) taillamps (cy2023).

Last edited:
  • LFP battery (54kWh LFP for some late my2021 while other late my2021 had 54 kWh NCA; 60kWh LFP for my2022+). LFP battery appears to have less degradation, but BMS could lose true state of charge if the state of charge cycles between ~20% and 99% (the "flat" part of the voltage curve) for a long period of time. LFP batteries are also larger and heavier for the same capacity compared to NCA batteries.

It's weird that even though LFP battery size was up by over 10%, the range only went up by <4% between 2021 and 2022 (same as 2023).

1686501067962.png

It's weird that even though LFP battery size was up by over 10%, the range only went up by <4% between 2021 and 2022 (same as 2023).

View attachment 945893

The EPA listing above is for the NCA version, though some postings of 2021 LFP cars mention only a 1mpgE lower economy rating. Could be that the larger 2022 LFP battery pushed the car into the next weight bracket.

RWD (“Standard Range”) is LFP battery, AWD (“Long Range”) is the usual Lithium-Ion.
Well, they are all lithium ion batteries. The difference is in the cathode material:
* NCA = nickel cobalt aluminum, used in most Teslas to date in the US
* LFP = lithium iron phosphate, used in recent Model 3 RWD
* NCM or NMC = nickel cobalt manganese, used in Model 3 in some other countries and speculated to be used in Model 3 LR soon; also commonly used in other EVs (e.g. GM, Ford, Lucid).

LFP batteries are less flammable and tend to lose capacity at a slower rate, but are larger and heavier for the same capacity. They also have a very flat voltage curve between ~20% and 99%, so if the battery goes through many cycles staying within that range (i.e. not charging to 100% or discharging to very low state of charge), the BMS may get inaccurate about the true state of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: MA128