Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where did you put your EzPass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished a 24-hour test drive on a MXP100D here in the Northern VA area. The Tysons store put the EZPass at the top most part of the windshield to the driver side of the cable housing. It worked everytime. They did this on all their showroom X's. Leaves it available for the HOV toggle switch as well (if you care).

I had major problems with it on Model S though

Earlier Model S cars, like my Feb 2013 build had some sort of coating on the glass that blocked RF. I had my plates flagged so they wouldn't bill me the "no transponder" fee.

I was surprised when my transponder worked by holding it just about anywhere on my new X's glass.

I mentioned this to some local owners, many of whom have newer S's and they all said their transponders worked fine through the glass. Curious to know when Tesla changed their windshield glass and whether it still has the incredibly high UV and IR blocking capability that they used to promote.

• Informative
Reactions: rocketdallas
I just finished a 24-hour test drive on a MXP100D here in the Northern VA area. The Tysons store put the EZPass at the top most part of the windshield to the driver side of the cable housing. It worked everytime. They did this on all their showroom X's. Leaves it available for the HOV toggle switch as well (if you care).
Also put mine in this location as well - has worked fine for 8 months. No HOV toggle on the Mass EZPass transponders.

Hi, guys. Please share where did you "glue" your EzPass? The X has a super awesome windshield, so I hate blocking any part of it with EzPass

Thx.
I live in NYC, so we use EZ Pass. When we bought the Model X last year (in Brooklyn), we were given a piece of paper (looks like others in the string got the same) suggesting we should use an external transponder, because the regular transponder may not read through the windshield. Not only that, but there’s no real place to stick it on the windshield without it looking absolutely hideous/corrupting the aesthetic.

So, it took some work to actually order one, but we got the external transponder that attaches to the front license plate. Best decision ever!

It’s hard to get, though. For some reason you can’t jist order the external transponder on the ez pass website (or at least you couldn’t in late 2017). You have to actually get someone from ezpass on the phone, and explain to them that the regular transponder doesn’t work, and then they’ll ship you the external one.

I hope this is helpful - the external one - at least in the northeast (they may not work in CA?)- is definitely the way to go!

Reactions: gavine