Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where Does It State My Battery Pack Size (kWh)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the actual and usable battery pack size printed on a sticker somewhere and/or listed somewhere in the OS that we can research that? I read online (forgot to document the source) that claimed the following…

2023 Model Y Performance (LR/AWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE
Total: 78.1 kWh
Usable: 75.0 kWh

2023 Model Y (LR/AWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE

2023 Model Y (RWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE
Total: 60.0 kWh
Usable: 57.5 kWh

Take a look at post #2:

76K @ 100% seems a reasonable assumption, but then so would 77K.

Upvote 0
Is the actual and usable battery pack size printed on a sticker somewhere and/or listed somewhere in the OS that we can research that? I read online (forgot to document the source) that claimed the following…

BATTERY PACK SIZE

2023 Model Y (LR/AWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE

2023 Model Y (RWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE
No. Tesla doesnt disclose anything related to this anymore. The only way to know for sure is to tear down a pack and measure the output from one cell and multiply by the total number of cells to get total pack capacity. Everything else is just a best guess calculated by how much energy you add charging and subtracting estimate losses. You can measure through tracking sites/apps like Teslafi and Tessie and the like. I have not confirmed the Service mode option but that seems reasonable.

One question, to what end do you need to know?

Upvote 0
No. Tesla doesnt disclose anything related to this anymore. The only way to know for sure is to tear down a pack and measure the output from one cell and multiply by the total number of cells to get total pack capacity. Everything else is just a best guess calculated by how much energy you add charging and subtracting estimate losses. You can measure through tracking sites/apps like Teslafi and Tessie and the like. I have not confirmed the Service mode option but that seems reasonable.

I don’t “need” to know. I want to know. LOL

I have Tessie. Where can I find this info in Tessie?

Reactions: JonB65
Upvote 0

Tessie app seems to be basing my reported 78.5kWh battery pack size on “the average original usable capacity of [my] Model Y configuration”. Not sure if this is accurate or not, but here is what battery pack specifications I found elsewhere on the web…

BATTERY PACK SIZE

2023 Model Y (LR/AWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE

2023 Model Y (RWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE

Attachments

• 60B2853F-158B-4BB3-B523-D65104D69E2B.png
    60B2853F-158B-4BB3-B523-D65104D69E2B.png
    371.9 KB · Views: 531
  • E2CFBCDD-7A7D-4835-ACA1-B39599BE83E6.png
    E2CFBCDD-7A7D-4835-ACA1-B39599BE83E6.png
    348 KB · Views: 261
Upvote 0
I thought the battery test would provide information on the battery capacity but it only provides the percentage when fully charged as compared to a new battery.

Scan My Tesla can provide the nominal battery capacity. This software requires you to connect an ODBII adapter to your Tesla Model Y and a BT dongle.

Reactions: THEbuz
Upvote 0
Tessie app seems to be basing my reported 78.5kWh battery pack size on “the average original usable capacity of [my] Model Y configuration”. Not sure if this is accurate or not, but here is what battery pack specifications I found elsewhere on the web…

BATTERY PACK SIZE

2023 Model Y (LR/AWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE

2023 Model Y (RWD)
BATTERY PACK SIZE
As stated above, what you found online is wrong for 2023. It is based on the LR nomenclature from original Model 3. Over time the individual 2170 cells were changed to 2170L which added capacity.

In the real world, what the app and web report are irrelevant. Your car has a set battery that will go a certain amount of miles. Whether the battery is 50kwh, 80kwh or 200kwh is irrelevant other than considering cost of charging/operation. If the car say it’ll go 326 miles, does it matter what size the battery is? Stop stressing about whether the Tessie data matches what Google says.

• Disagree
Reactions: LostVector
Upvote 0
As stated above, what you found online is wrong for 2023. It is based on the LR nomenclature from original Model 3. Over time the individual 2170 cells were changed to 2170L which added capacity.

In the real world, what the app and web report are irrelevant. Your car has a set battery that will go a certain amount of miles. Whether the battery is 50kwh, 80kwh or 200kwh is irrelevant other than considering cost of charging/operation. If the car say it’ll go 326 miles, does it matter what size the battery is? Stop stressing about whether the Tessie data matches what Google says.
I’m not stressing. What’s important to you is not what’s important to me. I just want to know what my total battery pack capacity is in kWh—range (in miles) notwithstanding.

Upvote 0
I’m not stressing. What’s important to you is not what’s important to me. I just want to know what my total battery pack capacity is in kWh—range (in miles) notwithstanding.
Agree about not having the same importance to different people. It’s all good. However, coming online, spending time searching and asking questions on a forum is seen as “stressing” about the actual capacity of your battery. Its ok if you want to stress about it.

A simple google search will get you the answer you desire (not sure where your initial results are from).
1677081431796.png

• Disagree
Reactions: LostVector
Upvote 0
Agree about not having the same importance to different people. It’s all good. However, coming online, spending time searching and asking questions on a forum is seen as “stressing” about the actual capacity of your battery. Its ok if you want to stress about it.

A simple google search will get you the answer you desire (not sure where your initial results are from).
View attachment 910042
Seen that way by YOU. My Google search has netted me results that others on here have stated are incorrect. Don’t confuse my pursuit of truth with “stressing”. Carry on.

Reactions: Jimt29
Upvote 0
What result are you looking for? Numerous people have told you the actual amount or ways to find it but you seem to be discounting them as incorrect and continue to search for other answers like there is a specific value you are looking for and wont rest until someone tells you that answer. Just trying to help.
I haven’t discounted anyone’s suggestions. I am grateful to all who have taken the time to reply (including you). I am just looking for something official from TESLA that contains the specific information I am seeking. Details on-screen; in SERVICE mode; printed on the door panel; under the hood; on TESLA.com—somewhere. Short of that, I guess I’ll have to settle for some of the great—albeit unofficial—suggestions from others. Thanks again! 👍🏻

Upvote 0
I haven’t discounted anyone’s suggestions. I am grateful to all who have taken the time to reply (including you). I am just looking for something official from TESLA that contains the specific information I am seeking. Details on-screen; in SERVICE mode; printed on the door panel; under the hood; on TESLA.com—somewhere. Short of that, I guess I’ll have to settle for some of the great—albeit unofficial—suggestions from others. Thanks again! 👍🏻
You will not get anything official from Tesla. Their battery is proprietary and they do not release this information. It is why I suggested you shouldn't worry about this. You won't get an answer from Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0