Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where does Tesla app solar production data come from?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have AP microinverters & Powerwall. System a few years old. The AP ECU app has not provided any data for about five days. Connected to the network OK. The Tesla app continues to provide solar data. In the past, I've always noticed a slight discrepancy between the AP & Tesla apps. I always assume the AP app is more accurate.

Looking back over the last week's Tesla solar production data, some seems reasonably in the ball park of production expectations, but some are way off.

Where does Tesla app solar production data come from? How accurate is it? Thanks.

The tesla gateway that you have installed has all that data. The powerwall gateway (grey box that controls powerwalls) in a powerwall system. If you have a solar gateway (little black box that plugs into your router) it can also come from that, but that box is not a requirement to get the tesla app data in a powerwall based system.

I understand the Gateway provides the data to the app, but how does the Gateway know? The AP ECU box has to be in proximity to the in-wall PV power cables to sense the data.

I "assume" (yeah I know, that word) the fact that everything passes through the gateway, and the Current Tranducers (CTs) are providing information about the loads, etc to the gateway.

I have APSystems microinverters and the ECU. What you can see in the Tesla app comes from CT clamps attached to the solar wiring. Mine are inside my breaker panel. The ECU has no connection or relationship to the Tesla product. My system functioned perfectly well without the ECU because my installer forgot to bring one. I nagged them for about five months, so they shipped it to me and I enrolled the microinverter serial numbers myself. If I go downstairs and unplug the ECU, the Tesla energy system will just keep plugging away. I would lose the discrete information provided by the APSystems web page and app and the data it aggregates.