Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where has this Stop Sign Come From?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot has a hard coded stop sign at an intersection on one of my main drags. In reality there is no stop sign at this location. In fact, as long as I've driven this route, which is at least 3 years, there's never been a stop sign at this location. This of course causes the vehicle to attempt to come to a stop at the imaginary sign. There are no stop lines, pedestrian crossings etc. at this location.

I've looked at all the sources I know of that Tesla reportedly uses for its sign locations. They all seem to lead back to openstreatmaps, which does not have a stop sign at this location.

Can you point me to where I might look further to have this imaginary stop sign corrected?

*Yes I'm aware non-beta AP was not intended for city streets. Operating with cruise control causes the same stopping for 'nothing'.

Thanks for any direction.

Reactions: beachmiles
Is it confirmed that they use OpenStreetMap and that it actually helps?
It might be like this for years since the map updates are far and few in-between.

Also it reveals that Tesla cheats and does not rely on image recognition, but uses the map as the primary source, and vision as a secondary (aux) source.
This a big pain in the neck when driving through construction zones, where I need the dynamic vision sign reading the most, and it DOES NOT because it's not MAPPED.

Upvote 0
Is it confirmed that they use OpenStreetMap and that it actually helps?
It might be like this for years since the map updates are far and few in-between.

Maps usually update at least a few times a year

Tesla AFAIK uses Mapbox- which itself pulls from a bunch of sources (OSM is one of them but there's many others- so no telling which one is introducing your stop sign)

EDIT-

Ok, so I looked slightly deeper.

You can report issues with their maps there.

Their sources are listed here under Data Sources:

The Mapbox Streets tileset is powered by a combination of proprietary Mapbox data, Open Data projects (including OpenStreetMap, Microsoft Open Maps and Wikidata), and data vendors for certain geographic areas (including Zenrin in Japan, PSMA in Australia, and Visicom in the UAE).

Also it reveals that Tesla cheats and does not rely on image recognition, but uses the map as the primary source, and vision as a secondary (aux) source.
This a big pain in the neck when driving through construction zones, where I need the dynamic vision sign reading the most, and it DOES NOT because it's not MAPPED.

On the other hand, it means it WILL stop for the mapped sign that has gotten overgrown to the point a camera might miss it... or one that is just over a hill where it wouldn't have time to brake reasonable if it waited till it saw it.

Reactions: eggzrule
Upvote 0
On the other hand, it means it WILL stop for the mapped sign that has gotten overgrown to the point a camera might miss it... or one that is just over a hill where it wouldn't have time to brake reasonable if it waited till it saw it.
Yeah, I see this a lot. It reports stopping for traffic control even when the intersection and signs are not visible in a few cases. The primary behavior seems to be tied to programmed intersection/traffic control devices, not vision in the current versions.

Upvote 0