Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where has this Stop Sign Come From?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot has a hard coded stop sign at an intersection on one of my main drags. In reality there is no stop sign at this location. In fact, as long as I've driven this route, which is at least 3 years, there's never been a stop sign at this location. This of course causes the vehicle to attempt to come to a stop at the imaginary sign. There are no stop lines, pedestrian crossings etc. at this location.

I've looked at all the sources I know of that Tesla reportedly uses for its sign locations. They all seem to lead back to openstreatmaps, which does not have a stop sign at this location.

Can you point me to where I might look further to have this imaginary stop sign corrected?

*Yes I'm aware non-beta AP was not intended for city streets. Operating with cruise control causes the same stopping for 'nothing'.

Thanks for any direction.

Reactions: beachmiles
Autopilot has a hard coded stop sign at an intersection on one of my main drags. In reality there is no stop sign at this location. In fact, as long as I've driven this route, which is at least 3 years, there's never been a stop sign at this location. This of course causes the vehicle to attempt to come to a stop at the imaginary sign. There are no stop lines, pedestrian crossings etc. at this location.

I've looked at all the sources I know of that Tesla reportedly uses for its sign locations. They all seem to lead back to openstreatmaps, which does not have a stop sign at this location.

Can you point me to where I might look further to have this imaginary stop sign corrected?

*Yes I'm aware non-beta AP was not intended for city streets. Operating with cruise control causes the same stopping for 'nothing'.

Thanks for any direction.
Is there a pole or different sign there? I remember passing by some place and a stop sign briefly popped up in the visualization and that location had a bunch of poles/signs.

Upvote 0
Is there a pole or different sign there? I remember passing by some place and a stop sign briefly popped up in the visualization and that location had a bunch of poles/signs.
There are zero poles or signs at this location.

Here's the map location.

Dropped pin

SE bound, at the break in the median where vehicles from the parking lot can enter the roadway.

The vehicals entering the roadway have a stop sign. Trafic on the road in both directions have no stop, yield, etc. signs.

Upvote 0
Look up the location in openstreetmap to see if a traffic control device is listed at the intersection. If there is, create an account and delete it. Maybe some day in the future Tesla will pull the change in to their data.
I have an openstreatmaps account, I've looked many times in every way I can come up with. There are no signs on this portion of road I can see.

Upvote 0
Any suggestion on the best way to identify it to Tesla? Bug reports from the car haven't helped over the years.
That's a great question. I doubt you'll get a response from any method but you can try scatter shot on Contact | Tesla and the app.

Once you've logged into your account you should have a drop down on the contact page to wade through. If you trigger a bug report in the car when you drive through that intersection, I think service can pull the logs from that even after you contact them. But I don't know how much data that report will contain.

Reactions: ACPark
Upvote 0
Maybe it's considering that driveway entrance to be an intersection, so therefore it stops? Sounds like you've looked into this as much as possible, so it's probably time to let Tesla know.
Thinking more about this idea: If we suppose the car perceives this as an intersection, and not a driveway. Then it would be considered an uncontrolled intersection, as there are no signs on openstreatmaps. Even the stop sign in the parking lot isn't on openstreatmaps. This stop sign isn't a 'legal' sign as it's on private property and there 'for good measure', as you're required to stop at a sidewalk and entry to a roadway by law.

It would be odd that right of way rules wouldn't apply, but then I'm not sure how Tesla AP is programmed for uncontrolled intersections.

Upvote 0