Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is Apple?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

As an Apple fanboy and newbie to Tesla, I can't help but think Tesla is following the same recipe of the iPhone. Best software, best hardware, stores for support, software updates, cloud computing, AI, etc. Where the heck is Apple? I don't understand why Apple is sitting on the sidelines. I thought they would produce a car with Project Titan but that was dumped by the CEO Tim Cook so now what. I can't help but think if Steve Jobs was alive, him and Elon Musk would have been clear rivals and nemesis'. I wonder if Tim Cook is dropping the ball. This all seems so simple to duplicate and improve upon. Apple clearly wasn't first to computing or MP3 streaming devices or even the first to create a computerized phone. As a fanboy, I am disappointed and realize Tesla is the new Apple here.. What do you guys think? I am thinking Apple will sell the software suite as a whole to auto manufacturers and kind of Microsoft the market this time.. That's my opinion...

• Disagree
Reactions: preilly44 and fmm
even Jobs knew he had to 'Microsoft' it on occasion - sometimes successfully, sometimes not. ie: the predecessor to the iPhone, the iPod, might not have blown up as much without iTunes on multiple OSs (Windows specifically). Further, Safari for Windows got no traction at all. I think you aren't looking critically enough at all of Apples moves, just some headlines, trying to extrapolate a parallel where there likely isn't one. Building a car is completely unlike the consumer devices Apple builds so the result is completely unsurprising. I'd contend that Jobs would have never attempted to enter the auto market in that manner in the first place as he had a much more concise view of what Apple was truly best in class at building.

Reactions: pilotSteve
even Jobs knew he had to 'Microsoft' it on occasion - sometimes successfully, sometimes not. ie: the predecessor to the iPhone, the iPod, might not have blown up as much without iTunes on multiple OSs (Windows specifically). Further, Safari for Windows got no traction at all. I think you aren't looking critically enough at all of Apples moves, just some headlines, trying to extrapolate a parallel where there likely isn't one. Building a car is completely unlike the consumer devices Apple builds so the result is completely unsurprising. I'd contend that Jobs would have never attempted to enter the auto market in that manner in the first place as he had a much more concise view of what Apple was truly best in class at building.

You're talking about the iPod and yes Steve used Microsoft Windows as a springboard to jumpstart their goal. The iPhone did not require Windows iTunes to install. So they used it as a stepping stone. We all know he killed MacOS on other computers (Radius) when he came back to Apple. He wanted complete control of his products. I am 100% certain he would have made his own car. He most certainly would have started "nuclear war" as he started war with Google when Android was introduced. I'm sure he would not have gotten along with E Musk..

You're talking about the iPod and yes Steve used Microsoft Windows as a springboard to jumpstart their goal. The iPhone did not require Windows iTunes to install. So they used it as a stepping stone. We all know he killed MacOS on other computers (Radius) when he came back to Apple. He wanted complete control of his products. I am 100% certain he would have made his own car. He most certainly would have started "nuclear war" as he started war with Google when Android was introduced. I'm sure he would not have gotten along with E Musk..

iPhone v.1 did indeed require iTunes regardless of platform (Windows / Mac / etc) to install music and other services - the app store wasn't even available then and over the air syncing and install didn't come along for a bit.

and, I'm sure that you are completely incorrect. building a car is nothing like building a phone or the devices Apple builds and Jobs would have known better. I have the utmost respect for him - he knew what they did well, where to enter, and when to compete. it wasn't (and isn't) in building a device with declining ownership levels over time as a shared services model rises. He knew when to say NO.

we can certainly agree to disagree, but at least get your history right.

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
I feel like if Apple builds a car, they'd charge me to actually drive the car. I'd have hook the car up to iCloud and buy miles. The battery would be welded into the frame. "Oh your battery is defective? You can trade it in for another car. Here's $100 for your trade."
Is that really different than Tesla not letting you use a 3rd party to service your car? And let's see, Tesla says "swap the battery" right? But you can't do it yourself right? C'mon guys..

Reactions: bxr140
unlike 2011 auto sales have since peaked and are now in decline. Jobs would not have entered a market with the wind in his face - he created new markets he owned or entered markets with the wind at his back. quotes from 2011 just don't hold up given the market shifts he obviously would have reacted to.

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
Is that really different than Tesla not letting you use a 3rd party to service your car? And let's see, Tesla says "swap the battery" right? But you can't do it yourself right? C'mon guys..

There is a big difference between having to buy a whole new device, and being able to upgrade it. Not allowing a third party to service a particular brand isn't uncommon. I'm not saying it's right, but at least you can get it serviced. And given the complexity of a Tesla, would you really want to replace the battery yourself?

Going into Apple for any kind of after warranty repair usually means having to buy a new product.

The latest Macbook Pro RAM and SSD are both soldered down. Ifixit gave it a 2/10 repairability score. That's the direction Apple is going in for everything.

Last edited:
And given the complexity of a Tesla, would you really want to replace the battery yourself?
Why not, Tesla has machinery to do a replacement battery pack swap in 90 seconds. A quick swap. Why can't 3rd party repair facilities do the same thing? Because Tesla doesn't want to sell replacement batteries to 3rd party service places. But yet, they designed it for quick swapping. If that is not a so called "Apple" move, I don't know what is..

Why not, Tesla has machinery to do a replacement battery pack swap in 90 seconds. A quick swap. Why can't 3rd party repair facilities do the same thing? Because Tesla doesn't want to sell replacement batteries to 3rd party service places. But yet, they designed it for quick swapping. If that is not a so called "Apple" move, I don't know what is..

Tesla is a growing company looking for a return on their investment. I can't blame them for not wanting to share a source of profit this early. Besides, why should they supply batteries? Let the third parties make their own.

Apple is worth a TRILLION dollars or more. Yet, they still give their customers the shaft, and do it with a smile.

Reactions: preilly44