Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Plaid Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be in the market for a Plaid X. Not for the speed but for the range. I want an X but can't take the range hit. We have a 210-mile round trip that we need to do on 1 charge even in the winter. It's mostly Interstate so high speed. Yes, I could slow down but it's already a long day. Going to an SC would add over an hour to the trip.

I guess it depends on how much work it is to build the Plaid S. If the skateboard is the same the changes would be minor. And if they could sell some number at a crazy margin, why not do it?

That should be just fine on the LR model, even in wintertime.

That was actually one of the best comparisons that I have ever read. I was the former owner of a Passat Diesel Wagon, and now that you point out the obvious... its obvious, the X is more wagon like and less SUV like, but with the insane AMG performance.

I am hoping the CT is good enough in the handling department for a guy that's cooling off my aggressive driving now that I am over 50... but you make some damn good points. I agree that a bigger Y would also be an amazing hit for Tesla.

We bought our X as a replacement for a deer-smashed Buick Enclave. It's been absolutely great for us - it's a bit smaller than the Enclave, but the seats are what we were after, less so the cargo room. Wouldn't have that with the S, don't have it with our 3, and wouldn't get it with the CT either.

The 7-seat Model Y is supposedly imminent but I will reserve judgement until I see it. I just can't imagine stuffing 7 people in there without being up in each other's private parts.

My point being - diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. X definitely has a market. Updated X has a bigger one. Slightly lower cost X has a broader one yet.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
That should be just fine on the LR model, even in wintertime.
True, but the LR X is slower than the LR S. I don't want to go backwards in Performance. Yes, I am a brat.

Now that we have a Gallery here in Tulsa, I do want to go and check out the X some more. One of my co-workers back in Cali has one and I went to lunch with him one day. I walked up to the passenger door, touched the handle, and it didn't open. I had to hop back and forth to "get out of the way" before it would open. Idk if I was just doing it wrong, but I want to spend some more time with it.

True, but the LR X is slower than the LR S. I don't want to go backwards in Performance. Yes, I am a brat.

Now that we have a Gallery here in Tulsa, I do want to go and check out the X some more. One of my co-workers back in Cali has one and I went to lunch with him one day. I walked up to the passenger door, touched the handle, and it didn't open. I had to hop back and forth to "get out of the way" before it would open. Idk if I was just doing it wrong, but I want to spend some more time with it.

It is, but will you notice? Likely not.

My X is faster 0-60 than the 3.
The 3 feels faster. It's certainly more "violent". The X is just smooth as silk getting up to speed right quick and in a hurry.

Worth a test drive, for sure. Go in with an open mind about it though - forget what you know about the numbers and just ask yourself if you'd enjoy the experience - make it visceral instead of academic.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
thanks for agreeing, but as a man, and I an S owner, I still would prefer an X. I guess I'm past that "need to have a sleek car" age. Or maybe I'm just a nerd. That's a possibility too. :)

Actually I had meant to say for "me" not men ;). I think people should get whatever they want - there is no 1 size fits all. Personally, I still have the "need" for the sleek car - my daily driver is a Corvette - my 4th in a row. But I have to admit I love the automatic doors on the X and the Falcon Wing Doors still impress.

Reactions: Kutu and henderrj