Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to put rodent repellent in a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a new Tesla owner and a bit paranoid about rodent damage because of damage rodents did to my last ICE car.

I removed the frunk and spayed a peppermint oil rodent repellent on just about everything that I could reach. There are a lot of nooks and crannies in that space that would make cozy nesting places. I also put 2 battery-operated ultrasonic repellent devices in this area. Just to be clear, I put the frunk back in after spraying.

I also bought some Grandpa Gus's Rodent Repellent Pouches, but couldn't find any place to put them in the frunk area. So I put one in each of the covered compartments in the trunk. I don't think I really need them there, but just in case. And if that smells up the passenger compartment, it is a really nice smell.

I'm just wondering if there's anyplace else in or under the car where I can spray, or put the repellent pouches? The frunk is an obvious nesting site but I don't see anything else that I can easily access.

Reactions: wildguess
I'd think you'd want something like that outside of the vehicle. Like maybe in the bumpers. I'd go to a mechanic with a lift and work with them to attach that stuff in a few spots around the underside of the car.
I'd think about putting them on top of the battery pack. Nice and flat, temperature controlled, and room to hold barn dances with neighboring town rats.

For anyone who hasn't looked, this is what the front looks like with the frunk removed.
Also, it's pretty easy to remove:
  • the flat panel by the windshield is held in with clips and snaps off easily
  • the frunk has 4 bolts and one pin/clip to remove, then it lifts right out
20220226T113644.jpg

I park my MY in my garage but have known that there are rodents around the driveway and yard.
Once actually I found a rat in my pervious ICE car engine compartment, right next to the battery.
I used to spray diluted peppermint oil under the hood & undercarriage to prevent any more surprise.
One thing I didn't like was the oil smell doesn't last long, and I have to re-apply frequently.

So, for my new MY, I decided to upgrade this method:

0) First, remove the plastic cover over the HVAC filter and window washer fluid container inlet.

1) These are what I used.
Have a small plastic container like a plastic beaker as in the photo; drill a hole
IMG_5175.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

2) Tightly zip tie the container around wire bundles one on each side
IMG_5177.jpg

IMG_5176.jpg

3) Soak some paper towel (or microfiber, dried baby wipes...) with 1 oz (~20 ml) peppermint oil. Drop it into each container.

I have just completed this job and will update how it goes.
Cheers,

Reactions: Georgesb2
I park my MY in my garage but have known that there are rodents around the driveway and yard.
Once actually I found a rat in my pervious ICE car engine compartment, right next to the battery.
I used to spray diluted peppermint oil under the hood & undercarriage to prevent any more surprise.
One thing I didn't like was the oil smell doesn't last long, and I have to re-apply frequently.

So, for my new MY, I decided to upgrade this method:

0) First, remove the plastic cover over the HVAC filter and window washer fluid container inlet.

1) These are what I used.
Have a small plastic container like a plastic beaker as in the photo; drill a hole
View attachment 783331
View attachment 783334

2) Tightly zip tie the container around wire bundles one on each side
View attachment 783332
View attachment 783333
3) Soak some paper towel (or microfiber, dried baby wipes...) with 1 oz (~20 ml) peppermint oil. Drop it into each container.

I have just completed this job and will update how it goes.
Cheers,

How'd this end up working for you? I discovered signs of mice in my glovebox (2021 M3) and then realized my wife's ICE car had quite a bit of signs of nesting in the engine. Brought the Tesla in to check for signs of damage, and they thankfully didn't find anything but did find signs of activity elsewhere in the vehicle (under the center console, which was surprising/disturbing).

As of now, I've got a Grandpa Gus mouse repellant packet in both vehicles glove box and plan to liberally apply the spray (and likely more packets) to the wheels and potentially under the frunk in the Fall once it starts getting cold again as I think we're finding this problem well after the fact.

Tesla SC suggested there really wasn't any mitigation they could provide, but I asked all the same. I think just active use of both vehicles and hopefully liberal use of repellant should be enough to keep them out in the winter, but fingers are crossed.

How'd this end up working for you? I discovered signs of mice in my glovebox (2021 M3) and then realized my wife's ICE car had quite a bit of signs of nesting in the engine. Brought the Tesla in to check for signs of damage, and they thankfully didn't find anything but did find signs of activity elsewhere in the vehicle (under the center console, which was surprising/disturbing).

As of now, I've got a Grandpa Gus mouse repellant packet in both vehicles glove box and plan to liberally apply the spray (and likely more packets) to the wheels and potentially under the frunk in the Fall once it starts getting cold again as I think we're finding this problem well after the fact.

Tesla SC suggested there really wasn't any mitigation they could provide, but I asked all the same. I think just active use of both vehicles and hopefully liberal use of repellant should be enough to keep them out in the winter, but fingers are crossed.
I opened up both my tesla and MDX to check today (6 weeks from initial application).
- No sign of rodent even in my MDX, that is parked outdoor all the time.
- still residual odor of oil I could smell right away when I open the hood
- I applied smaller amount of oil this time onto the same microfiber tissue

Overall, I am satisfied with the status and will continue this.

Reactions: LaneDS
Just FYI, the plastic clips at the edges of the frunk are pretty fragile. I took my frunk out twice to spay peppermint oil, and I've broken 2 clips doing so. I haven't replaced them yet, and it doesn't really seem necessary - the 4 bolts really hold the frunk in place and the clips don't seem too important.

First pic is the unbroken clip, 2nd is the broken clip.

20220423T114958.jpg

20220423T115002.jpg

Reactions: mgs333