Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mice countermeasures - Ok to drill tiny air holes in Frunk and use peppermint oil?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just paid nearly $400 to repair rodent wiring damage that disabled our Model Y's exterior temperature sensor. Seems like this is a not uncommon issue. Car is parked outside.

After research, seems like peppermint oil is a decent countermeasure - there are dispensers on Amazon meant to be stuck on surfaces that claim to be long-lasting.

So it would be easy to put one or two of these in the Frunk, but obviously the wiring is underneath the Frunk in the very front of the car. I don't particularly want to have to remove the Frunk regularly to replenish the capsules, so my thought was to drill a few air holes at the bottom front of the Frunk so the smell would permeate the space below the Frunk where the wiring is. Any reason why drilling a few holes is a bad idea? (We don't use the Frunk at all).

Just paid nearly $400 to repair rodent wiring damage that disabled our Model Y's exterior temperature sensor. Seems like this is a not uncommon issue. Car is parked outside.

After research, seems like peppermint oil is a decent countermeasure - there are dispensers on Amazon meant to be stuck on surfaces that claim to be long-lasting.

So it would be easy to put one or two of these in the Frunk, but obviously the wiring is underneath the Frunk in the very front of the car. I don't particularly want to have to remove the Frunk regularly to replenish the capsules, so my thought was to drill a few air holes at the bottom front of the Frunk so the smell would permeate the space below the Frunk where the wiring is. Any reason why drilling a few holes is a bad idea? (We don't use the Frunk at all).

You can make quick work of the front plastic liner with a power tool. I'd go that route before I drilled holes in the tub. Hell, if you don't use it often leave all of the bolts out except for one or two.

Upvote 0