Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where will the used Model S cars show up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Model 3 beginning to come online, I would think that there would be a glut of used Model S cars showing up in various market places, but so far, all the normal used car sites show little to no uptick in preowned Model S traffic. What is the common wisdom on where we begin to see them show up when the Model 3 ramps? Thanks!

I am not sure if there ever will be a glut in Model S cars on the used market. When you look at the yearly production of all cars in the US, the Models S is still a very small percentage of the overall picture.

The S and the 3 are also a long ways apart on starting price. I really think that those who favor full size cars will continue to buy the S if they can afford it. Those not in that market will look at the 3. Just my opinion, but the next year should be telling on where the market is going.

Reactions: Dax279
The S and the 3 are also a long ways apart on starting price. I really think that those who favor full size cars will continue to buy the S if they can afford it. Those not in that market will look at the 3. Just my opinion, but the next year should be telling on where the market is going.
Sadly, I was offered $51k trade value for my 1 year old Model S. With the RWD LR Model 3 at $49k, they are not far apart at all in price.

Reactions: playoutside
There are so few M3s sold so far, there isn't any real effect on used MS sales/availability.

What I did hear from a Tesla representative is that they are expecting a TON of Model Ss on three year leases to be returned by EOM (December). Those you'll be seeing listed on the CPO site soon enough. The ones not good enough for CPO they send out to dealer auctions, so look there as well.

I also agree above that the number of people trading in a used MS for a new M3 is very, very small.