Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whether to consider a Model Y for Off-Road and in deeper snow ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Imagine that the stock Y will be much more of a "soft roader" than an "Off Roader".

If you need to take your Y on challenging off road areas, it is doubtful that the stock suspension will not provide enough clearance.

Maybe sometime in the future a more off road capable model will be offered, or even perhaps the aftermarket will provide a lift kit and some protective armor, but as currently envisioned, perhaps you need to look at Subaru or such.

The Y is so similar to the 3 that it doesn't help fill the gaps in the space/clearance/rack needs. I'm not yet ready to spring for the X. At least for me, the cost is just too high for a second vehicle despite the fact that it checks the other boxes provided by the CRV We also keep our 07 Odyssey as other than garage space re-gained, nothing has the space it does for a longer car trip. The Cybertruck would indeed go a long way (as would a substantial price drop on the X but I'm not holding my breath on that one). I also spoiled myself driving the 3 before the X. I much preferred driving the 3 despite the unfair advantage of it's smaller size.

3 is much more nimble and easier to drive in Urban areas. Smaller size is the reason. Easy to curb park and efficient.

X is much more of an open road cruiser. Smooth, powerful, quiet, towing capable and tons of interior room for people and stuff. Great vista windshield and sits higher for better all round visability.

I've taken my X offroad many times. Much better traction and throttle control than my previous Grand Cherokees. Rides down rutted roads much smoother and almost no head toss compared to Jeep. Ait suspension gives me plenty of ground clearance and the flat bottom does not get hung up on rocks. Don't use it for rock crawling, but for getting to interesting places when exploring.

There is something pure about driving a EV off road. No pollution coming out the tail pipe, no irritating motor noises and not burning gas in a pristine environment.

Next step will be an off road capable electic bike. Hate the obnoxious noises gas bikes make.

Reactions: iustin
Maybe sometime in the future a more off road capable model will be offered, or even perhaps the aftermarket will provide a lift kit and some protective armor, but as currently envisioned, perhaps you need to look at Subaru or such.
I would much rather have a Model Y with this 1.75” lift kit than a Subaru. I’m sure @MountainPass will produce a Model Y version once they can verify the suspension configuration. (I expect no change to the Model 3 kit.)

MPP 1.75" Suspension Lift Kit | Mountain Pass Performance

Lift-Kit-Outside.png

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
If you want off-road capability, you’re better off with an I-Pace. That thing can ford 20” of water. Though that’s where it ends. No Super Charging Network and Tesla has the tech when it comes to batteries. Plus Jaguar has proven to not have very good reliability.

I have driven an I-Pace and was going to lease one until Tesla bumped up production of the MY. I could totally see Tesla eventually release an “outback” version of the model Y. Though probably not for at least a year. Though I bet you could make your own with the post above... quite tempting to lift the Y if it looks anything like the post above!

But if you must have an EV now and that EV must be able to ford water and hit trails, the I pace would maybe be a better fit for you. But you would need to give up the superior batteries and the SC network that comes with Teslas

If you want off-road capability, you’re better off with an I-Pace. That thing can ford 20” of water. Though that’s where it ends. No Super Charging Network and Tesla has the tech when it comes to batteries. Plus Jaguar has proven to not have very good reliability.

I have driven an I-Pace and was going to lease one until Tesla bumped up production of the MY. I could totally see Tesla eventually release an “outback” version of the model Y. Though probably not for at least a year. Though I bet you could make your own with the post above... quite tempting to lift the Y if it looks anything like the post above!

But if you must have an EV now and that EV must be able to ford water and hit trails, the I pace would maybe be a better fit for you. But you would need to give up the superior batteries and the SC network that comes with Teslas
Rivian or Cybertruck FTW

Issues with iPace is production is halted due to lack of batteries. Mercedes has also halved their EQC production due to batteries. And will likely push it's US introduction back even further.

Hold out for the cybertruck. OR.... get the Y, and get a suspension lift. You are in Oregon, its doled out with the meth in small towns at truck dealers lol... You know what I mean... (actually there are some one inch lift kits for the 3 already) and then get some under armour or plastic tray fitted. Some sacrificial thing for the stone chips (I have been on plenty Oregon fire roads and trails).. etc

Cybertruck would do a lot for us. We're not hard core in trails and deep snow, we just need one vehicle capable of the task.

We originally balked on the cost of a model X. The $85k base is a lot for a secondary car - or any car really amazing as they are. I'd have gladly settled for a Y that was more along the lines of a Highlander. Good to know you can lift it a little though if you need. The I-Pace is close enough to Model X pricing that I'd likely stick with Tesla, granted it looks awesome. A Rav4 Prime may be good enough though.

I keep looking over at the X build though thinking, well, it's only an extra $23k more than the Y but the Y isn't exactly cheap.

Just got a nudge email from Tesla telling me if I ditch the 3rd row, I'll get my Y soon. Tesla sales tells me the 3rd row isn't quite large enough for even small humans so time to decide. A working hitch mount + roof mount rack options would help even if the 3rd row isn't really usable.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD