Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

which accessories to buy at order time vs after delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noob here, looking at some accessories before I order. Does it makes sense to select these at the time of delivery? Or buy them later?

Wall Connector - I currently don't have plans to install a wall charger. I can still buy it for the same price $350 later, right?

Mobile Connector - I read on other posts that Tesla may give a $200 store credit, so maybe it's better to buy it after delivery?

Tow Hitch - Is the $1000 tow hitch a good value, versus having it professionally installed after market? My usage is for a 4-bike rack.

Be careful, if you add an accessory to the car it will increase the MSRP. You will want to make sure the new MSRP does not exceed the IRS limit if you are looking to get a tax credit. Unless you are planning to roll such items into the loan / lease, I would buy them separately.

I bought my MYP 3 weeks ago and since have bought:

Screen protector
Upgraded to different all-weather mats (front and rear)
Console organizer/storage trays for front cubbies
PPF most of front end and the rear rockers
Wall Charger and installed myself
Upgraded to larger tires on all 4 corners
Added Homelink unit in frunk
Tire Plug & Inflator kit
Jack pucks
Hardwired Radar Detector
Cupholders
Blackout Emblems

That's it for now. I'm debating on adding the Tow Package and will likely get the roof shade once spring rolls around.

As others have stated
  • Screen Protector
  • All Weather Floormats - I have the LDCRS (vendor here) and love them
  • Console trays
  • Jack Pucks
  • Cupholder Insert
These were my most critical when I got mine a few months ago.

Wall Connector - I currently don't have plans to install a wall charger. I can still buy it for the same price $350 later, right?

Mobile Connector - I read on other posts that Tesla may give a $200 store credit, so maybe it's better to buy it after delivery?

Tow Hitch - Is the $1000 tow hitch a good value, versus having it professionally installed after market? My usage is for a 4-bike rack.
If you plan to install a new 240V charging circuit the Wall Connector ($350) is the better option. (Can be installed outdoors, has a longer charging cord than the Mobile Connector, enables faster charging (40 amps and 48 amps) when installed on a 50 or 60 amp circuit. This is faster than the Mobile Connector (limited to maximum of 32 amps when used with a 14-50 or 6-50 receptacle, 240V/50A circuit). The price of the Wall Connector is the same ($350) when ordered separately from the online store at Tesla.com.

If you are undecided about how you will charge the Mobile Connector ($230) can be used with a standard 120V outlet and can enable you to add ~30 miles of range to the Tesla Model Y over 10 hours of charging. (Note: Tesla no longer provides the $200 voucher.) The price of the Mobile Connector is the same ($230) when ordered separately from the online store at Tesla.com.

The Tow Hitch is the same unit whether you order it with the vehicle or after purchase, delivery. In either case Tesla Service will install the Tow Hitch (installation is included in the purchase price.) It costs $1300 after delivery but ordering the Tow Hitch for $1000 at time of purchase would likely increase the MSRP over the $55k limit for the Tesla Model Y vehicle to be eligible for the new tax credit.

Wall Connector - I currently don't have plans to install a wall charger
How do you plan to charge your car? If you plan to buy and use the mobile connector on a dedicated 120v outlet you are good to go, but if you are thinking of installing something more then keep in mind a 14-50 outlet is more expensive than the wall connector.

A Wall Connector is $350 + $15 for a circuit breaker, this totals $365. A 14-50 outlet is $80 for a Hubble or Bryant outlet + $150 for a GFCI breaker + $230 for the Mobile Connector + say $35 for a cable management system = $495.

Enjoy your new car!