Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which DIY PPF kits to consider, and are you still happy with the results?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of a Y soon, and I'm considering going the DIY PPF route. It looks like Drive Protected and TestBros are the big players, pricing is similar, not sure if they use the same material (any discounts/deals available?) Anyone else I missed?

To the folks that installed these kits:
  1. Did you wrap the edges?
  2. How are the edges holding up? Are they collecting any 'dirt'?
  3. How did you deal with a front plate (if applicable)?
  4. Do you still like the look (especially people who only did partial installs)?
  5. Did you apply any ceramic solutions (such as the Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic)?
Would love to see a spreadsheet with this data someday (similar to the tire reviews one), might have to work on that once I have more data.

Reactions: fsb1
I'll add my thoughts. I bought ST3K brand from precutppf.store and northtint.store and did full front and doors

1. Yes, it's a must IMO
2. Wrapped edges holding up perfect. non-wrapped edges (ie. logo cutout, edge against headlights, or top of the doors) have collected some dirt. DIY precuts will never be AS good as professionals who remove trim and install under it.
3. N/A
4. Yes. In the future, I think I'll only keep the front PPF'd whenever they need replacement
5. Yes. it's worth it for the ease of cleaning dirt and dead bugs

Thanks for responding! Both those stores have much better pricing, although it's weird that reviews on both sites keep talking about how they paid with crypto, and both sites don't have much info about the actual business (yet look like cookie-cutter WordPress sites).

I'm surprised at how much cheaper those 2 are. Even with STEK (which is what I wanted, minus the built-in hydrophobic option which supposedly doesn't last long), the 2 you mentioned are $200-300 cheaper than Drive Protected/TesBros for the front kits (difference is even bigger for the full).

It does look like they only offer STEK with the DynoShield option, which isn't compatible with other coatings including silicon based ceramic coating products. So many decisions :(

I have stek love my result and I recently gotten into accident hit from back and push into incoming car on the side. And surprise my Ppf held no scratches was pretty impressive.

IMG_3558.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3350.jpeg
    IMG_3350.jpeg
    549.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3559.jpeg
    IMG_3559.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 137
I’m a fan of STEK and got mine from Northtints. Driveprotected and Tesbros are overpriced. I picked up my STEK full front PPF kit from Northtints last summer for $600 for the Model Y.
I just bought a full front 3M kit for a Model 3 for $500 from Northtints.
Driveprotected and Tesbros are in the $700-$1000 range for the same kits.

Yes, wrap your edges where possible.
I have a white MY, so you can see some dirt build up near the edges that aren’t wrapped. But, you have to be close to see it.
I don’t have a front plate. I didn’t add ceramic coat as the STEK has built in hydrophobic properties and is glossy already. Having your car professionally ceramic coated over PPF is a waste of money. If you really want to ceramic coat over PPF DIY it to save money.

I was going to DIY ceramic coat it using something like Turtle Wax's hybrid product line which seems to do really well in various benchmarks. Did you do anything with the rear doors on your MY? Trying to figure out what to do with this area. Did you have any problems with the wrapped edges, and have to remove any parts?

Any reason you went with the 3M vs STEK for the Model 3? Curious to see if they look any different (durability seems to be similar).
The M3 is just an around town extra car. I didn’t feel it was worth paying the extra $100 for STEK. I use the Model Y as a daily driver and for road trips.
I don’t think the 3M will be as glossy as the STEK. Also STEK is known to have less orange peel than even Xpel.

Thanks for responding! Both those stores have much better pricing, although it's weird that reviews on both sites keep talking about how they paid with crypto, and both sites don't have much info about the actual business (yet look like cookie-cutter WordPress sites).

I'm surprised at how much cheaper those 2 are. Even with STEK (which is what I wanted, minus the built-in hydrophobic option which supposedly doesn't last long), the 2 you mentioned are $200-300 cheaper than Drive Protected/TesBros for the front kits (difference is even bigger for the full).

It does look like they only offer STEK with the DynoShield option, which isn't compatible with other coatings including silicon based ceramic coating products. So many decisions :(
both sites are legit and have really good customer service. I also used DIY ceramic spray wax on top of the STEK and it works just fine.

Bought my full front Model Y and full front Model 3 PPF from Northtints. Legit company. I selected “no wrapped edges” for my Model 3 and I received an email confirming I really didn’t want wrapped edges with the cons of doing so. I was offered the option to switch to wrapped edges free of charge to ensure my PPF came out better.
At half the price of Tesbros and Drive Protected.

I bought full body PPF wrap from Drive Protected for $2200 (after the 20% discount...and the shipping was free). The kit includes all the installation tools (2 spray bottles, micro fiber towels, squeezie). I only had to buy the isopropol alcohol and the Johnson Johnson baby shampoo. It took me 5 days (6-8 hours per day) to wrap this 2023 ultra red model X (see pictures below). I am semi-retire so this was a fun project to keep myself busy. I used the dental needle (I am a dentist) to get rid of the large air bubbles. Most of the tiny bubbles (I circled them in white) disappeared in 1-2 weeks when I exposed the car to the hot sun. I am happy with the overall result. No more worry about getting the swirl marks when I wash my car. There were some small dirt particles (I circled them in blue) that got trapped between the PPF and the paint in some areas ( because I am an amateur) but they are barely noticeable when viewed 3-4 feet away.

Attachments

• 20231104_210501.jpg
    20231104_210501.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20231105_215822.jpg
    20231105_215822.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Five years ago, I paid a professional installer $6000 to wrap my 2018 model S with Suntek film. I've been very happy wih how the film has protected the paint (Tesla cars are notorious for having very weak paint). My son scrapped the front bumper when he hit the wall at the McDonald drive thru. I used the hair dryer to pop out the dent in the bumper. I then paid the installer $800 to remove the damaged PPF film and re-wrap the bumper with new film .....and the car looked new again. It's been 5 years and the film on the car still looks glossy. The car has been driven for 90k miles. I've been washing it with Optimum no-rinse solution once or twice a month.....just spray.....wipe off the dirt.....and dry with waffle weave microfiber towel.

Attachments

• 20231105_213106.jpg
    20231105_213106.jpg
    465.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: