Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Do You Prefer and Why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D65C3259-D32D-4B84-BD27-4084911E70B1.png

D380C127-E01D-44A3-9E5E-3CBB84165CA5.jpeg
9E8ABE42-4E82-44F9-AC0C-38B82CBA433F.jpeg

Is the top and bottom 22"? They seem to have very little side wall, even compared to the 21". Honestly I like to stock wheels I think more, looks more aero dynamic and like a turbo fan.

The top and the bottom pix are the exact same picture, just different contrast and brightness settings. The YP's 21’’ Überturbine Wheels are optional on the Performance Y while the top & bottom pix are the 21" Sonic Carbon Twin Turbine Wheels off a Model S Performance. I apologize for failing to precisely match up the diameters but they are the same in real life. The wheel gap is lowered from the YP's already lowered suspension by another 1/2".

The reason I posted this comparison was to get honest opinions on my possible decision to swap wheels when my Model YP arrives with the Überturbine wheels installed.

I'm thinking I may be selling them for the following reasons:
1) They're very heavy, with massive amounts of Aluminum. (Estimated 4 lbs heavier at each corner in fact).
2) They have Pirelli P-Zero's installed with dual STEEL tread belts. (Had these on my Mercedes... horribly LOUD, terrible in Snow, and an overall terrible handling tire as well due to the compound Pirelli uses.
3) The Überturbine may be more aerodynamic but negligible IMO compared to the S's Sonic Turbine wheels which not only look better, they're way lighter!​

I found that the combined weight of each wheel and tire will affect the car's performance (acceleration, brake and steering). When the total unsprung weight can be reduced, it will have a positive impact on the overall performance and handling of the car. Why? Less mass will need to be moved and controlled, which means that less energy is needed to do so.

I plan to also have a set of Std. 19's for winter use.

Thanks everyone for responding.

Last edited:
Is the top and bottom 22"? They seem to have very little side wall, even compared to the 21". Honestly I like to stock wheels I think more, looks more aero dynamic and like a turbo fan.

Actually both sets (the YP and SP) share the same size tire and 35 series sidewall. It's the lighting giving that impression along with my sloppy disproportional PS work... My Bad!

I believe the wheels from the Model S/X have a different bolt pattern than the Model 3/Y, so that won't be possible.

Absolutely, however there are many ways to solve this issue. The simplest is to purchase replica Sonics with the 3-Y bolt pattern and offset. The other is to swap out the hubs... I’m not that desperate though. The goal here is to reduce the unsprung weight as the Uberturbine’s are too massive and heavy for my taste and needs.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I may be selling them for the following reasons:
1) They're very heavy, with massive amounts of Aluminum. (Estimated 4 lbs heavier at each corner in fact).
2) They have Pirelli P-Zero's installed with dual STEEL tread belts. (Had these on my Mercedes... horribly LOUD, terrible in Snow, and an overall terrible handling tire as well due to the compound Pirelli uses.
3) The Überturbine may be more aerodynamic but negligible IMO compared to the S's Sonic Turbine wheels which not only look better, they're way lighter!​

Thanks everyone for responding.

One more reason:
4) Although the staggered Uberturbine wheels look more aggressive on a Performance Y, they cannot be properly ROTATED.

Absolutely, however there are many ways to solve this issue. The simplest is to purchase replica Sonics with the 3-Y bolt pattern and offset. The other is to swap out the hubs... I’m not that desperate though. The goal here is to reduce the unsprung weight as the Uberturbine’s are too massive and heavy for my taste and needs.

Yes, absolutely, replica wheels would work. Reducing the unspung weight is definitely a good thing. Square setup is also a good idea (though I liked the look of 275 on my previous BMW X3 rear tires).

Reactions: RIP->OPEC
Okay here is the Spoked wheel in place of the Model Y Performance Uberturbine wheel but this time in perfect proportion. The wheel gap in this pix is also back to its standard OEM Performance wheel gap, not further lowered as seen in my original post above.

Model y Perf w S Wheel.png