Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which home Wall Connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I am looking to have a wall connector installed in my garage. There are several options available both the Tesla brand and others. I am dead set on buying a Tesla M3, although not sure it it will be Standard or Long range. What I know about electricity, amps, volts and the like can fit on the head of a pin. I would like advice on whether or not to by the Tesla Wall Connector or another brand, if another brand which one. My Tesla will be mostly a daily driver.

Thank you,

Ric

OK, sure. But you're saying all of this negative stuff about things that ARE opt-in and at the discretion of the homeowner. The power companies are offering financial incentives to install some of these things that will benefit load management (like the price savings off of a charging station), but you are free to turn down the money and buy something else that doesn't use that.

We have a really good and appropriate program around here from Idaho Power that is called the "A/C Cool Credit" program. You can opt in or opt out. If you opt in, you get a $5 discount off your monthly bill. They install a little wireless control on your air conditioning unit, so that they can disable it from activating for some short portions of time. So they can rotate through groups of houses to limit A/C draw. But let's say you are having a big party in July with friends over, you do get some number of days a year to file for saying "Don't use that on this day, because I need to keep it fully cool."

It's a decent win/win, and they're getting enough uptake just by offering money incentives.
again i understand, but most in the USA like to have some control over our destiny, any opt in for a minor cost benefit to the owner, is a huge benefit to the grid management, but we loose control
feel the deck is stacked against those that opt in, we get little benefit
I like the utility building mega BESS and VPP/opt in for helping the grid
no big brother controlling my home resources

Upvote 0
again i understand, but most in the USA like to have some control over our destiny, any opt in for a minor cost benefit to the owner, is a huge benefit to the grid management, but we loose control
feel the deck is stacked against those that opt in, we get little benefit
I like the utility building mega BESS and VPP/opt in for helping the grid
no big brother controlling my home resources
I sure don't want to see my utility putting in a bunch of extra infrastructure that gets used once every couple of years. It's a big overhead cost, and ends up coming out of ratepayer's pockets.

Even if I concede that the utility benefits more than the customer, (which I don't, the intrusion is pretty minimal), you can always leave the program if you are not satisfied with the situation. Of course, you have to give up the financial incentives, but that only makes sense.

If you were locked in, I could see your point, but that's just not the case.

Upvote 0
Wouldn't time-of-use electricity pricing already create incentives to avoid charging an EV during the time when brownouts are most likely to occur (peak hours in the late afternoon and early evening)? Seem that this type of subsidized EVSE that the utility can turn off scheme is neither necessary nor much of an impact for the customer who does EV charging at home.

The subsidized thermostat that the utility can adjust scheme has more effect in both aspects, since peak hour summer air conditioning use is a huge factor in possibly overloading the grid and generation capacity. (Some people with AC time-shift their AC use to pre-cool their house before peak hours start, then turn off the AC during peak hours.)
good points, just think i want to be in charge of opt in and out vs big brother being in charge

Upvote 0