Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector Location (High Heat Environment)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of planning an install of a Gen 3 Wall Connector ahead of a Tesla Model 3 purchase in Perth Western Australia. Install will be a single phase install (7.4kW, 240V, 30 amps). Unfortunately due to driveway and Model 3 charging port constraints the only place I can mount the Wall Connector is on an external North facing wall which will bake in up to 40+ degree heat in summer months charging during solar production hours / energy provider cheap time of use period (9am-3pm) covering the hottest time of the day.

Is this likely to be an issue with both longevity of equipment and potential for reduced charging output (below 7.4kW)?

Manual states "For optimal performance, install Wall Connectors in areas where ambient temperature will remain below 50˚C (122˚F). In rare circumstances, Wall Connector may begin reducing amperage at 35˚C (95˚F) ambient temperatures."

Curious if these rare circumstances might relate to my install environment. Temperatures however shouldn't reach more than 50 degrees ambient temperature outside the wall connector, inside however likely a different story.

Feedback appreciated.

I have an external wall connector installed in almost identical conditions to what you describe in internal California with summer temps regularly above 40C.

No problems to speak of thus far.

If you did notice throttling, I think any sort of temporary shade you could provide the unit to keep it out of direct sunlight would go a long way.

Started to answer this, and then realized that it was Australia. Which is why the "North Facing" threw me; here, on the other side of the equator, the problem direction would be "South Facing". 😁

Having said all that: Would putting a small sort of roof/sunshade above the TWC so it's in the shade during the worst of the day be an issue?

Around here, doing that might invite the local paper wasps to set up a nest. But probably not.

Reactions: aerodyne
I have an external wall connector installed in almost identical conditions to what you describe in internal California with summer temps regularly above 40C.
In your example Wall Connector is mounted on the equivalent South facing wall in direct sunlight and no issues/charging degradation on 40+ degree days?

Will investigate adding some form of shade protection above it, maybe something similar to this (few options on that site): EV Charger Cover Canopy with Solar Light