Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which key fobs will work for a 2023 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In general, no, they wont. The answer is a bit more nuanced than that, because the newest Model S and X use a similar key style as model 3, but older ones dont.

Its much safer / easier to say "No, model S and X keyfobs dont work" since it appears you are looking to buy them used (otherwise you would just be ordering the correct one from Tesla).

There are two different model 3 keyfobs, and older one and a newer one. They both work, but the older one does NOT have passive entry (meaning you can not leave it in your pocket and walk up and open the car door, you must actually push a button on the keyfob). The newer one has passive entry, so you CAN leave it in your pocket / purse / bag, and walk up and open the door.

Upvote 0
In general, no, they wont. The answer is a bit more nuanced than that, because the newest Model S and X use a similar key style as model 3, but older ones dont.

Its much safer / easier to say "No, model S and X keyfobs dont work" since it appears you are looking to buy them used (otherwise you would just be ordering the correct one from Tesla).

There are two different model 3 keyfobs, and older one and a newer one. They both work, but the older one does NOT have passive entry (meaning you can not leave it in your pocket and walk up and open the car door, you must actually push a button on the keyfob). The newer one has passive entry, so you CAN leave it in your pocket / purse / bag, and walk up and open the door.
Ok thanks. Yeah I’m looking for a new one cause I just can’t see myself buying a key fob for $180 after taxes. I’m used to having regualr cars where the key fob was given to you standard that’s all. I don’t like having to wait to walk up to my car to unlock the doors for my wife and kids and I don’t like always having to pullout my phone just to unlock my car. Just personal preference I guess. Thank again

Upvote 0
Ok thanks. Yeah I’m looking for a new one cause I just can’t see myself buying a key fob for $180 after taxes. I’m used to having regualr cars where the key fob was given to you standard that’s all. I don’t like having to wait to walk up to my car to unlock the doors for my wife and kids and I don’t like always having to pullout my phone just to unlock my car. Just personal preference I guess. Thank again
I get the "personal preference" part, but...

If you dont want to wait to walk up to the car to unlock the doors, there isnt much difference in pulling out a phone and pulling out a keyfob and pushing the button, with the exception that your phone can be used from anywhere, and the keyfob is only going to work from within a specific range to the car.

The phone in general works passive, just like the new keyfob does, so both stay in your pocket during normal operation.

I mean, I have a keyfob as well (I actually have two of them) because, in 2018 when I got my model 3 performance, I was used to carrying around BMW keyfobs (which are not exactly tiny, heh) and thought I needed one for the model 3 to make it "easier". I ended up carrying it around but hardly ever using it, but I do carry both my phone and a keycard as a backup for the phone. I have never had to use the keycard as a backup for the phone myself though, but have read threads about others occasionally needing to do so.

In 2022 when we replaced my wifes BMW with a model Y, I asked her if she wanted a keyfob, and she said yes (for the same reason I wanted one in 2018). So, I bought her one instead of using my old one, because of the swap from non passive entry to passive entry.

She carried it around for about 3-4 months, then said she didnt need it anymore, and they both sit in a drawer now. The only thing I have used them for is letting my daughter use one to run to the store to pick up something when she visits us for holidays (grocery run).

All that to say, I get thinking you want one, and if you are targetting one, you probably want the newer one with passive entry. I dont find them that expensive actually, but thats because I am comparing them to BMW priced things. You may find out that you really dont need it even if you think you do, though.

Anyway, hope that helps, its all one persons experience as it were.

Upvote 0
I get the "personal preference" part, but...

If you dont want to wait to walk up to the car to unlock the doors, there isnt much difference in pulling out a phone and pulling out a keyfob and pushing the button, with the exception that your phone can be used from anywhere, and the keyfob is only going to work from within a specific range to the car.

The phone in general works passive, just like the new keyfob does, so both stay in your pocket during normal operation.

I mean, I have a keyfob as well (I actually have two of them) because, in 2018 when I got my model 3 performance, I was used to carrying around BMW keyfobs (which are not exactly tiny, heh) and thought I needed one for the model 3 to make it "easier". I ended up carrying it around but hardly ever using it, but I do carry both my phone and a keycard as a backup for the phone. I have never had to use the keycard as a backup for the phone myself though, but have read threads about others occasionally needing to do so.

In 2022 when we replaced my wifes BMW with a model Y, I asked her if she wanted a keyfob, and she said yes (for the same reason I wanted one in 2018). So, I bought her one instead of using my old one, because of the swap from non passive entry to passive entry.

She carried it around for about 3-4 months, then said she didnt need it anymore, and they both sit in a drawer now. The only thing I have used them for is letting my daughter use one to run to the store to pick up something when she visits us for holidays (grocery run).

All that to say, I get thinking you want one, and if you are targetting one, you probably want the newer one with passive entry. I dont find them that expensive actually, but thats because I am comparing them to BMW priced things. You may find out that you really dont need it even if you think you do, though.

Anyway, hope that helps, its all one persons experience as it were.
Yeah I feel you I guess it just habit. But with that being said, would you be willing to sell your extra model y key fob? Lol. I believe they’re the same as for the model 3.

Upvote 0
The refresh s/x fobs work (with the x fob having two extra buttons that presumably don’t do anything on other models), and obviously the 3/y fob also works. There is also an early variant of the 3 fob that does t have passive entry.

Upvote 0
Thank you. What exactly is “refresh” does it mean like newer model fobs? Sorry just new to Tesla

In the context that @terranx is using it, It means "Newer model S and X cars, that have been updated with newer technology by Tesla". I dont follow Model S/X very closely as I dont have either, so I dont know the refresh dates, but there is a point where both were updated with a new interior layout, new internal hardware, etc.

Part of those changes to the vehicle was to change to a style of key similar to the model 3/Y. So, newer model S/X support phone as key, older ones dont, newer ones keyfob works like model 3/Y, while older ones do not.

Upvote 0
In the context that @terranx is using it, It means "Newer model S and X cars, that have been updated with newer technology by Tesla". I dont follow Model S/X very closely as I dont have either, so I dont know the refresh dates, but there is a point where both were updated with a new interior layout, new internal hardware, etc.

Part of those changes to the vehicle was to change to a style of key similar to the model 3/Y. So, newer model S/X support phone as key, older ones dont, newer ones keyfob works like model 3/Y, while older ones do not.
Oh ok I see. Thank you for clearing that up. I figured it was something like that but just wanted to make sure. Thanks again

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0