TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Which M3 shape would you buy when it is released?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Sunlight, Sep 16, 2015.

?

Which M3 shape would you buy when it is released?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2015.
  1. Liftback sedan (MS style)

82 vote(s)
    56.2%
  2. Liftback CUV/SUV (MX style) + 3-4" height

24 vote(s)
    16.4%
  3. Estate wagon (similar to Volvo V40/Audi Avant/etc)

26 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. I want something different..!

14 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Sunlight

Sunlight Member

If Tesla were to release 3 versions of the M3 at the same time, which would you choose?
    Assuming they all look similar and Tesla derivative.

2. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Hard to say. I would either be the wagon or the CUV. If both have AWD and tow hitch, it would be down to pricing and smaller details. (I voted CUV though.)

3. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Something different ... three door coupe.

4. MaLund13

MaLund13 Member

Wagon or Crossover.

5. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Cabriolet! .... or wagon :)

6. Electric Feel

Electric Feel Member

For 3 cars to be released at the same time, they would have to be different in function, since the drive trains would be pretty much the same.

So you would really need to make 3 very different cars.

A Hatch back and a lift back sedan like the MS might be too similar.

We would need a crossover 7 seater like the MX, a Hatch or lift back like the MS, and maybe a 2 door sports variant like the roadster, all on the Model 3 platform.

7. Sunlight

Sunlight Member

ElecFeel - true but the amount of 'antagonism' towards a taller car seems to show that a 'low-line' lift back (sporty BMW-chaser)/a taller sedate and practical vehicle split makes the two poles apart.....different customers.

But it is true that there may only need to be one lift back shape - somewhere between a boxy wagon and an MS styled car. Would that appeal to both camps or alienate both?! I personally like the Volvo V40 shape - a non-square wagon.

I feel that coupes and sports cars (even based on the same chassis) are too costly to develop for the sales potential. Also if you then go for a shorter wheelbase you may reduce battery capacity/range and BEVs don't need that issue now!

8. Electric Feel

Electric Feel Member

But if they all used the same base platform i dont see how it would be extra cost to tesla. What they would be doing is offering buyers customization to get what they want or need.
    Thats what the model 3 should be all about, customization. And not just for things like power, range, wheel drive.

If you dont need a 5 seater but want a model 3, just get a 2 door.
    Need a compact family hatch? get that.
    Need more seats? get the 7 seater. They can design a BMW competitor too.

What they cant do is just offer that and nothing else. For me personally I dont think I would buy a straight sedan. I would end up getting a Leaf 2 if that were the case.

9. Oil4AsphaultOnly

I have older parents and really old grandparents. They all appreciate the ease of ingress/egress that a cuv/suv offers. Plus the efficiency of an electric motor makes any MPGe differences [ between sedan vs. suv ] only of marginal benefit.

10. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado Member

I voted liftback sedan on the assumption that it would be less expensive and have more range than a CUV (at a given battery size). Unlike many here, cost matters to me.

If that assumption turns out to be not true, then I'd prefer a CUV. But that seems very unlikely to me.

11. Ardie

Ardie Member

I'm hoping to see a 2-door coupe with the liftback trunk lid.
    All I really need is a commuter car with weekending capabilities, although I wouldn't say no to a convertible

-- Ardie

12. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

I have absolutely no need for a CUV/SUV.

A sleek sexy fastback is what im hoping for.

13. MiamiNole

MiamiNole Member

Fastback sedan for me. The more stylish, the better. My wife has the SUV/CUV for us, and we usually take that for road trips, family trips, etc. So the Model 3 will be strictly my baby.

14. sub

sub Member

I voted for Wagon, would love a sport wagon similar to the BMW 3 series that we had for years. Currently own a BMW 335D, couldn't pass up the diesel engine but the ultimate ICE would be the 335D in the 3 series wagon which they don't offer for who knows what reason. I'm assuming it will be a sedan and/or CUV since those will sell in the numbers Tesla needs. I don't mind the Evoke size CUV, give me 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and 280 mile range and i'll buy one of each. I will pass if it's a city car like our current i3 or a leaf, no thanks. The i3 is miserable to drive at anything above 40 mph.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I'll go for the sedan-like hatchback, unless they offer a not-just-a-weirdmobile teardrop-shaped version with improved aerodynamics.

16. EVNow

EVNow Active Member

Can I have two ? Like a lot of families we have a compact sedan/hatch and a CUV.

17. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Change the title. I immediately thought of the BMW M3.

That moniker needs to stay with them.

18. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

I voted wagon as well, but also know that the US market for wagons is really small.
    Most of the wagon buyers end up with a crossover instead.

19. Sunlight

Sunlight Member

Hmmm - so far an interesting observation - the wagon option trumps the SUV option....

As the wagon could be so easily adapted from the standard liftback with minimal bodywork changes and most of the interior etc remaining the same (which would not be the case for a SUV where nearly all the bodywork and lots of the interior needs revising), maybe Tesla should roll out the sedan and wagon options initially and then bring out the SUV as and when the pent up demand justifies it.

Or would this NOT work in the US of A where wagons seem to have a 'bad image'? of course, on the contrary, it would help sales in Europe and broaden the appeal in an important market....

20. 78Lion

78Lion Member

2+2 Cabriolet. Think Audi S5 Cab. Yes I expect that version to cost more than $35K fully loaded