Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which VIN# have parking sensor as standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to call Tesla to see if parking sensors are included in the car. Sometimes it is not listed as an option but is included.
Is there a general rule, like all cars after in 2013 VIN# P18xxx and after, have parking sensors or all 2014 models have parking sensors as standard?

Parking sensors were not standard until cars with Autopilot hardware (late 2014). The parking sensors were not even an option until August 2013. My 15639 VIN was manufactured in July 2013, so I'm going to guess that any car with a 15XXX or lower VIN definitely does not have parking sensors. Anything beyond that may or may not have them depending on whether the owner purchased them, so you'll have to look to see if they have the option.

Parking sensors were not standard until cars with Autopilot hardware (late 2014). The parking sensors were not even an option until August 2013. My 15639 VIN was manufactured in July 2013, so I'm going to guess that any car with a 15XXX or lower VIN definitely does not have parking sensors. Anything beyond that may or may not have them depending on whether the owner purchased them, so you'll have to look to see if they have the option.

True, but the parking sensor hardware (excluding the sensors themselves and a few other bits) were part of all cars built until about August 2013.

The parking sensors were an add on stand alone option and the first Model S's began appearing on or after August 2013.
Then in Mid 2014 (say June or July) the parking sensors were removed as a stand alone option and were added to the Tech Package.
Then in April 2015 the parking sensors became standard equipment and were no longer an option.

That is pretty much the history of the parking sensors.
The parking sensors appear as round button sized mild indents on the front and rear bumpers and the nosecone.
When the Autopilot hardware package was introduced 4 more sonic sensors were added, two on the front edge of the front bumper near the wheel wells and also two near the rear edge of the rear bumpers along with a centrally located camera in the inside of the windshield.

Of note: some early Model S owners have retrofitted non-OEM Tesla parking sensors to their early cars. I recall a thread or two regarding this.

Lastly, for some folks, the Model S is challenging to park consistently with accuracy, especially when backing in. I suspect that the parking sensors would be of great assistance to those drivers. The Model S, is, after all a wide car, (about 2" wider than my Volvo X60-R-Design. It is for this reason that I have retrofitted my two 8' wide car garage doors with one 17' wide garage door thus eliminating the central post which was between the older 8' doors... it was TESLA-FIED!:tongue:)

Last edited: