Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which wireless charging mat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watching this treat. Nomad seems to claim 7.5w using the front USB ports. It seems other manufacturers claim 7.5w only when using a battery pack. Taptes seems unclear if 7.5w is achieved using the front usb poets.

Only nomad spells out 7.5w charging. But at $130 it’s kinda hard to stomach.

Watching this treat. Nomad seems to claim 7.5w using the front USB ports. It seems other manufacturers claim 7.5w only when using a battery pack. Taptes seems unclear if 7.5w is achieved using the front usb poets.

Only nomad spells out 7.5w charging. But at $130 it’s kinda hard to stomach.
Thanks for your response. What do you mean by a battery pack?

Regards
S

I’ve had NOMAD since December. Works well, including through an update that rendered a couple of competitors non functional. Haven’t used other brands myself but this one seems to be a quality choice. Haven’t had phone slip off, etc.

I’m curious if anyone who has the Tesla branded charging pad can voice their opinion on whether the Tesla version or Nomad version is a better purchase, or if there are noticeable differences between the two. I’ve read many people are happy with their Nomads, but I’d like to buy the Tesla version if it’s a better fit/has improved functionality vs 3rd party options.

I’m curious if anyone who has the Tesla branded charging pad can voice their opinion on whether the Tesla version or Nomad version is a better purchase, or if there are noticeable differences between the two. I’ve read many people are happy with their Nomads, but I’d like to buy the Tesla version if it’s a better fit/has improved functionality vs 3rd party options.
I have not owned a Nomad, but I have the Tesla pad now and had a Taptes before that. The main differences between the Tesla and the 3rd party pads are that the Tesla doesn't need an integrated "lip" (which means that it can accommodate slightly taller phones), has larger coils (which probably makes alignment of phones of different sizes less critical), and has the best fit to the car's tray (because it comes with a replacement cover for the tray's base that firmly locks it in). If you are willing to pay $100+ for a Qi charger I'd recommend the Tesla, otherwise the Taptes (which is just as good as the others but costs half as much).

No difference in charging speed?
It is difficult to verify since at least iPhones don't allow apps to access the battery controller, so you can't directly see how much power actually arrives at the phone (measuring the input power on the Qi charger isn't good enough since there can be varying degrees of losses on the inductive link depending on things like coil alignment). But I don't think you'll see major differences between any of the pads when connected to the front USB ports. Don't expect high-speed charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Rottenapplr
We have the Nomad charging pad. It fits very nicely and looks like it came with the car. It came with two splitter cables, which was an added bonus. So I was able to connect USB drives for both Sentry and music separately. Charging speeds actually seem really fast. I haven't measured anything, but it seems pretty quick. Only gripe (and this is really a gripe at Tesla) is there's no room for large phones. I have a Note 8 and I need to take the case off for it to fit. Then it barely fits. That's more of a gripe against the Tesla design since the only reason we needed to buy the wireless pad is because our phones didn't fit using the Tesla cords.

Reactions: Dana1
I have the original Nomad that came with a built in battery (and no splitters) to guarantee the faster speed. Works perfectly charging our two iPhone Xs phones. I also ran USB power from the 12v adapter to insure the pad always has full power and frees up the built-in ports for Sentry and Music with no data corruption issues.
https://amzn.to/2XdwnSn

I have the original Nomad that came with a built in battery (and no splitters) to guarantee the faster speed. Works perfectly charging our two iPhone Xs phones. I also ran USB power from the 12v adapter to insure the pad always has full power and frees up the built-in ports for Sentry and Music with no data corruption issues.
https://amzn.to/2XdwnSn
How did you run the wiring from the 12v port to the center area? Is the wire noticeable?

+1 for Taptes Wireless Charger with good price point of $49.99 (Best bang for your buck for the quality)

• Matte finish/anti-slip material (compliments interior of Model 3)
• LED lights on both sides to display when you're charging (Amber light)
• No branding
• Phone divider so your phone doesn't slide around and split between the other charger spot

Pretty decent charging speed that charges 1% every 2-3 minutes on my iPhone X