Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White Interior Door Panels Are Going Away Soon.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They’re going from this:

F9BB2355-64A3-4E19-A783-1DCB18E30737.jpeg

To this:

388130FB-D7F8-4628-B669-18FFC12C8850.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: MGsurf and GOVA
I wonder if this is purely a cosmetic refresh or something more, like all that white on the doors is hard to keep clean? That is the one place that I have to wipe down regularly, nowhere else, just that white spot on the doors.

i think it has to do with keeping the overall design consistency. The new extended door piece is also on the wood trim. I guess the concept is to make the console feel floating and wrap around a you. It would be weird to have the new extension in white while keeping the panel white too.

overall I think it’s cleaner and more elegant

Reactions: HvyD and jmaddr
I do think it's cheaper to build. Less moving parts and material on the center console, less white leather used, consistent build for the doors..... take those cost savings and add them to heated steering and headlights? I will take that anytime.

Meh. I live in S. Texas, so heated steering wheel isn't interesting, and the headlights seem good to me. So I wouldn't trash my interior for a couple of useless features.

I don’t buy the cheaper to build.

In the old style both the Alancantra and white leather inserts are two separate parts placed in identical door panels. Install the door panel in the car and snap in either a white or alacantra panel.

In the new style, the wood and white upper panels are two separate parts put in an identical door. Install the door panel in the car and snap in either a white or wood panel.

If you ask me, this is likely gonna cost more as there are more parts to a single door now. I think it’s just simply a style change and I like it.

Break down the supply chain. No longer you need to keep and order smaller inventory of white leather panels. The majority door now becomes common and only the side inserts are different. Drastically minimizing the separate door panel builds and inserts are adjusted later in the production line after major body panel assembly. Cost optimization comes in different form.

ya, I like it too.

Break down the supply chain. No longer you need to keep and order smaller inventory of white leather panels. The majority door now becomes common and only the side inserts are different. Drastically minimizing the separate door panel builds and inserts are adjusted later in the production line after major body panel assembly. Cost optimization comes in different form.

ya, I like it too.

You do realize the :side" inserts and "door panel" inserts are both inserts, don't you??

Why does it save anything to move the different colored insert from one part of the door to another? It doesn't.

Someone at Tesla just felt they needed to change something to keep everyone talking, so it's just change for the sake of change. Look how the whole Tesla community goes bonkers over the tiniest changes.

You do realize the :side" inserts and "door panel" inserts are both inserts, don't you??

Why does it save anything to move the different colored insert from one part of the door to another? It doesn't.

Someone at Tesla just felt they needed to change something to keep everyone talking, so it's just change for the sake of change. Look how the whole Tesla community goes bonkers over the tiniest changes.

they are not the same assembly. The white panels are fitted on. Having same colors meant the major door assembly, including the side inserts can be fitted at one stage. The inserts will come later stage when the consoles are installed as they are the same frame but inserts are different. Case in point, You can easily remove the inserts (like the long piece in the front console) but the door panels are assembled and bolted.

Here is what I meant as door assembly. The whole piece door is now the same but now with a side insert assembly. The entire door panel are assembled else where and bought to the major line. Instead of keeping white doors and black doors, it’s all the same with a slot for wood or white inserts. The stage where the cabin console are slotted is when the side inserts will also be fitted according to order.

same door panel assembly more efficiency and less major parts to worry about

Last edited: