Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

White interior getting dirty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@daviddavid i have the same thoughts and went with black. either way, i put seat covers on all my 'keeper' (non-leased) cars. and i am also going to spruce up the interior with some of the stuff like center console wrap to break up the black. i plan on putting some sort of lighter colored seat cover like tweed or similar.

I have a white interior on my 3. I have had it since October 2018 and I have about 23,000 km.

The white interior is as clean as the day I picked it up. I use mainly Baby wipes to periodically wipe the seats down and every now and then, a wet cloth with Mothers VLR (Vinyl Leather Rubber) cleaner.

HOWEVER, my white driver's seat is starting to show some "stretch marks" and what looks like some minor cracking on the side bolsters. You have to look closely to see it, but it's there.

According to the Tesla tech (when I had the car in for some other service), this also happens to the Black seats, you just don't notice it as much.

Maybe, maybe not. Having said that, I love the white seats, they are basically zero maintenance (except for the wipe down as noted above) and to me, they look great.

Reactions: Sherlo
Makes sense - I am more concerned about mud and drool than hairs, which are pretty easy to vac up.
Agreed with the hair. It's awful with dark colours. For the mud and drool, you definitely need dog covers, like a hammock. I also use a seat belt to tether my dog down. The husky can't sit still. There are also door panel covers that you can get to protect the sides of the doors. They have tabs you slip down the window to keep them in place.

I ordered white. I think if you take precautions, you can maintain a clean car despite having dogs, AND it looks awesome. Black is also a death trap in the summer for the dogs. HOT HOT HOT!

Agreed with the hair. It's awful with dark colours. For the mud and drool, you definitely need dog covers, like a hammock. I also use a seat belt to tether my dog down. The husky can't sit still. There are also door panel covers that you can get to protect the sides of the doors. They have tabs you slip down the window to keep them in place.

I ordered white. I think if you take precautions, you can maintain a clean car despite having dogs, AND it looks awesome. Black is also a death trap in the summer for the dogs. HOT HOT HOT!

I have a hammock which does a great job (they don't block the airbags). I also have the OEM shades for the summer and dog-mode does keep things cool (even when the dog isn't in the car) but yes, white seats would do a better job of reflecting that heat.

Reactions: dontblinkdoc
Aarons12 - seat covers? I thought you couldn't do that, they would obstruct the built in air bags. I'd love to put seat covers on, once I get my MY. Let me know the details of the covers please.
  • This is the hammock I have my eyes set on. It works really well in the Model 3 apparently. I like the open mesh design in the middle so Echo gets some AC circulating. He's usually panting in sub zero temperatures let alone in a car...so anything helps! Just waiting to hear back from someone who gets their hands on a Model Y to do some measurements =D.
  • This is the door protector I was mentioned. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but beats scratching up my door panels. There are nicer panel options out there, but apparently these tabs really hold the thing up
I have a hammock which does a great job (they don't block the airbags). I also have the OEM shades for the summer and dog-mode does keep things cool (even when the dog isn't in the car) but yes, white seats would do a better job of reflecting that heat.
Awww...do you always need a sunshade? I don't know how tinted the glass roof will be, but in the summer is it really bad without something protecting you above? I was hoping to do without, cause I feel like it kind of defeats the purpose of having a cool panoramic glass roof if I have to put a mesh fabric to prevent me from turning into a raisin when driving.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Kelr316 and txakoli

Tesla has dog Mode - They will be okay. At least that's the reason why I'm getting a Tesla!

Aarons12 - seat covers? I thought you couldn't do that, they would obstruct the built in air bags. I'd love to put seat covers on, once I get my MY. Let me know the details of the covers please.
sorry, didn't see this. i will look into it further before actual buying but in their ads they talk about 'air bag flaps' and i saw a couple of ads that specifically mentioned 'air bag compatible' so maybe they came up with a way of addressing that.

this is just one example from ebay
Coverking Synthetic Leather Custom Seat Covers for Tesla Model 3 | eBay

and one from amazon
https://www.amazon.com/INCH-EMPIRE-...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

We have a Y on order (white one). Now my wife is questioning whether she wants the white interior. Thoughts on this getting dirty over time? Seems like it would.

I convinced my wife (who, like yours had doubts) in getting white seats for our white Model X.

The deal was we get white seats, but I was in charge of keeping them "white". This was after we watched several YouTubers show how easy it seemed to keep them clean.

Four months into owning the car, I still love the white interior. But I got tired of wiping the seats, especially the two front seat, every other week to keep them white. The two front seats get blue jeans transfer...even after applying sealant, and regular wiping with baby wipes. That or I don't know how to rid 100% of blue jean transfer.

So, I bought seat covers - but only used for the 2 front seats, and just the seat not the back rest.
I don't mind these cover getting stains, and don't have to wipe that often like before.

In other words, like Elon said: Don't Doubt Your Vibe (in our case, HER vibe) :confused::D 20200209_150202.jpg

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Reluctantly I am probably going to back off of the white seats. I am not a big fan of seat covers. I find them bothersome at best. They remind me of that plastic stuff my grandmother had on her couch. I would always ask myself why someone would have put that stuff on a couch. It made it not as comfortable and sticky on hot summer days. After my Grandma died, I actually took the plastic off the couch. Just to see what it was like without the plastic coating. Then we donated the couch :)

• Funny
Reactions: Qbenjamin
I really wanted the white... but I have a dog. :D
Dog owner too.
In my Model 3 I got the dark interior.
Then I put an Orvis Windowed Hammock Seat Protector (1) on the back seat for the hounds.
Plus their Interior Car Door Protectors. (2)

The back seat is now cleaner than the front seats.

I'll do the same for my Model Y

/G

(1) Orvis.com Mobile Site
(2) Orvis.com Mobile Site

I convinced my wife (who, like yours had doubts) in getting white seats for our white Model X.

The deal was we get white seats, but I was in charge of keeping them "white". This was after we watched several YouTubers show how easy it seemed to keep them clean.

Four months into owning the car, I still love the white interior. But I got tired of wiping the seats, especially the two front seat, every other week to keep them white. The two front seats get blue jeans transfer...even after applying sealant, and regular wiping with baby wipes. That or I don't know how to rid 100% of blue jean transfer.

So, I bought seat covers - but only used for the 2 front seats, and just the seat not the back rest.
I don't mind these cover getting stains, and don't have to wipe that often like before.

In other words, like Elon said: Don't Doubt Your Vibe (in our case, HER vibe) :confused::DView attachment 510084

Where did you get the seat covers?

I have white seats on my X and have found them very easy to keep clean. The previous owner of my car had blue jean dye transfer that was pretty apparent when I first got it. I wiped it down with some leather cleaning wipes (Armor All) and most of it lifted up easily. I clean mine about once per month, but I don't have pets or kids either.

Even when I get my Cyber Truck and have the kid/pet, I'm still getting white...It's a head turner to see white interior (if its kept clean).

We have had our 2016 Model X for almost 4 years (3 years, 9 months). The white seats are still perfectly white. We will have 80K miles on it by our 4 year anniversary and have two teenagers and two large dogs. The dogs rarely ride in the X, but we’ve always treated the X just like any of our other cars. It’s usually terribly messy inside and the “no eating in the Tesla” rule lasted about 2 weeks after getting it. I’m 100% doing white seats on the Y.