Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whiteout blizzard conditions: Autopilot or FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see how the AI with cameras can ever be as good as a human for driving in bad weather. A human can see road conditions and feel road conditions, can predict where the lines are even if they are not visible, know why tires they have on the car, etc.

Tesla really need to install their forward facing cameras in top corners of the front windshield for more parallax, height and depth perception and the cameras needs to be upgraded to 4K to capture more details.

Reactions: ambudriver03
Tesla really need to install their forward facing cameras in top corners of the front windshield for more parallax, height and depth perception and the cameras needs to be upgraded to 4K to capture more details.

I too wondered why they didn't go with higher definition cameras.

I guess unless we had access to all three forward facing camera feeds it would be had to know if the overlap provides the system depth perception.

The video quality of the camera available to TeslaCam leaves a lot to be desired, but the system clearly wasn't designed for human vision.

Winter in Alaska and My Tesla hasn’t recognized the lines on the road in over a month. Also even on the max follow distance it is still way to close to the car in front for winter driving or to prevent sand/rock blasting in the summer. So yes do NOT use AP, TACC, or any cruise control in snow storms or snow/ice covered roads.

Winter in Alaska and My Tesla hasn’t recognized the lines on the road in over a month. Also even on the max follow distance it is still way to close to the car in front for winter driving or to prevent sand/rock blasting in the summer. So yes do NOT use AP, TACC, or any cruise control in snow storms or snow/ice covered roads.

Northern Alberta and same experience here. Even when I get a bit of road line visible the car wants to swerve to what it perceives the middle of the lane, which involves driving typically into a snow bank (or at least snow build up on the road). I love AP, but am hesitant to upgrade to FSD if it isn’t usable half the year.

While I don’t doubt that AI will one day be able to “see” better than humans, I don’t see how it would know that the road was icy and needs to let off the acceleration earlier than normal. Once it knows it’s sliding, it’s too late.

Reactions: coleAK
I also live Upstate NY and the weather lately isn't all that bad (2 good storms) but dropped my speed like crazy till the roads get cleared up. I've had my first "Tesla Hate" towards another driver for what they did and it sounds a little like you but I ended up seeing them in a ditch about 30 minutes later so I think they got an answer to the question. Traffic slowed to like 40-50 on the 65 mph road and this idiot with another Model 3 ripped by me and a ground of other vehicles pushing us into the shoulder and scaring the hell out of all of us. You could barely see and the roads were almost white. Few miles later he was in the ditch and Karma will get me but "HAHAHA" to them. Auto-Pilot or FSD is never going to be a "Sure thing" because of road conditions so please don't be one of those that thinks AWD/4WD will stop you from sliding.