Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding to data:
  • Happens almost word for word to me as well.
  • I'm in VA
  • 2023 MY
  • Worked fine until about a week ago
  • No firmware update or map update
  • Fsd 11.4.4
  • Car now will make a left turn off my neighbor Hood, would never do that before. Would always go right and take an alternate route. There is an unusual median going in/out of my neighborhood.
  • Same day as left turn change out of neighborhood fsd started exhibiting turning into medians in very very unsafe maneuver.
  • Believe I would be in major crash if I did not intervene.
  • To be clear, no message I can see, sometimes off blinker behavior, switch into median like it's another turn lane, stop at gas station to clean out my shorts
  • Happens a regular and predictable places. Not 100%, but about 85% occurrence logos
This is a SERIOUS safety issue. I've asked my wife not to use fsd beta while this goes on. I am amazed no reports of crashes have happened yet.

Reactions: jgt1942 and jjjord
I really wish there could be multiple levels of "FSD." I just want a car that has the best lane keep assistance/steering as possible, that handles stop lights for me (and alerts me when it's going to do so, so I can tell when it's not seeing the sign or light) and will change lanes automatically for me when I tell it to. I think this is almost EAP, but without the stop light thingy, right? I think I'd want it to stop at stops signs but not proceed afterwards as it's really really bad at those.

My wife's ID.4 does all of this for me except for the stop light thingy. I'm not sure if the lane/keep auto-steering is better than Tesla FSD but it is better than AP. It also changes lanes for me -- but to be fair it's been a little finicky (though not as bad as Tesla fails that will sometimes for no reason think there's some one in the the other lane and jerk me back to my original lane like a moron).

Real FSD is more of neat/dangerous parlor trick at this point. I guess that's not fair, it can be a fricken mind-boggling neat parlor trick that in my opinion should only be used by us normies at night with no traffic around unless we are really beta testing it and are at maximum alertness.

Bottom line - not sure how much you trust FSD, but man was I happy I was paying attention...

I agree with you 100% and recently had a similar experience. I made a 24-mile round trip (13 miles each way) as a test drive for FSD in my M3 with v11.4.4.
Part of the route included a few miles of 3-lane road where the middle lane is for left turns. However, on the right, somewhat frequently was a right turn lane, I'm guessing that they were about 150-200 feet long. Almost every time I approached one of the right-turn lanes the car wanted to go into that lane. I would force it to stay in the correct lane which broke the FSD connection. I would resume FSD, after a few of these I decided to see just what FSD would do if I allowed it to go into the right-turn lane. After the car got into the right-turn lane, it did NOT slow down, as I approached the end of the lane, the car continued at a fast pace. At what I think was the last second, I forced the car back into the lane to continue straight. I think that if I had NOT forced the car back into the continuing lane it would have driven off the end of the right-turn lane.

Later on the same trip, I was stopped at a traffic light waiting to make a left turn (FSD was engaged), the left-turn light came on, and the car started to move forward and started turning left, directly toward a pole in the center divide. I had nerves of steel and let the car continue but at the last second, I panicked and forced the car to the right, narrowly missing the pole.

As you, I was happy I was paying attention! I love the concept of FSD and this is the main reason I recently purchased the 2020 M3P.

Reactions: jjjord
The key message here seems to be that FSD isn't.

Glad we didn't pony up for it, though we did purchase EAP in hopes that it would prove useful on limited access highways. So far, that's been mostly the case with a few notable exceptions such as repeatedly freaking out on a particular exit ramp instead of announcing the exit and returning control to the driver, or failing to safely merge from one freeway to another. My spouse thinks EAP is trying to kill us, is mad that we paid for it, and refuses to use it until she sees it behaving rationally in the usual trouble spots when I use it while driving. So yeah, I still use EAP, but at any moment I definitely expect it to try and do something truly stupid and dangerous and am prepared to take full control. Not exactly relaxing, though it's certainly interesting.

Reactions: beachmiles