TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Whitestar competition already? Mercedes EV

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by stopcrazypp, Jun 20, 2008.

1. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

#1 stopcrazypp, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
    Mercedes luxury electric vehicle now more than a rumor

Mercedes luxury electric vehicle now more than a rumor - AutoblogGreen

This post says: "Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche has reportedly confirmed that his company is trying to release a high-class EV in 2010."

Not much other details "except to say that the price of the vehicle is dependent on if the batteries will be sold or leased."

Autobloggreen did an older post that said this car might possibly have a range extender and it sounds like it will likely be li-ion powered mid or large sized vehicle.

Mercedes reportedly working on all-electric luxury car - AutoblogGreen

So all that sounds like the Whitestar is already starting to have some competiton.

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

2010 is looking to be a very good year for EV's. There may actually be a lot of choice in the marketplace. I wonder if this Mercedes EV could have anything to do with that possible Tesla-Daimler deal ...

3. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

4. doug

#4 doug, Jun 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
    Daimler plans electric Mercedes vehicles: report - MarketWatch

Anyone know what is meant by this "sandwich construction technique" and how that is relevant?

5. DDB

DDB Member

It was 2006, then 2007, then 2008... But I am optomistic. We should see some very nice pre-production models by year end.

6. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

If I'm not mistaken what they mean by the sandwich construction is that the smaller A and B-series MB's the cabin is designed in a way that in a crash the engine will slide underneath the cabin and you would be riding on top of the sandwich. This is supposedly one of the reasons those small cars are so thin and tall in their design, and the reason the first version of A-series had problems with cars rolling over.
    But this is based on my suprisingly flaky memory so please check this somewhere :)

Cobos

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Cobos is right - the A-class was always intended to have equipment under the cabin floor for a fuel cell/electric version. I'm not as familiar with the B-class design but it looks like a larger version of the same.

8. doug

You mean like the GM skateboard concept?

scateboard-aufbau-300-224.jpg