Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WhiteStar feature requests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
(Stuff I had posted to the Tesla blog)

WhiteStar wish list.

Required items:
* Electric powered (check!)
* Quick acceleration (check!) < 6 seconds 0-60
* 4 wheel independent suspension with 4 wheel discs (given)
* Handles well (almost assured)
* Looks cool/stylish/hip (crossing my fingers)
* Forged alloy wheels with creative design. (more than one style to pick…)
* Small turning circle
* Not too wide (72″ max)
* Good steering feel with just the right amount of road sensation.
* 50/50 weight distribution.
* Everything they could do to keep weight down.
* Rigid body/chassis.
* All expected comforts (AC, power windows, keyless entry, alarm, etc.)
* Kick a$$ stereo that can play MP3s from a USB memory stick.
* Best of breed VoiceNav/GPS system with maps of charging locations.
* Arm rests on doors and in the center console that are the same height and not too high.
* Self leveling xenon headlights.
* ABS (given)
* Defeatable traction control.
* Electronic brake force distribution. (optimized portioning)
* Airbags all around. (Elon mentioned “5 star crash safety”)
* Push button keyless starter (like on the Prius)
* Excellent Fit and Finish
* Excellent Ergonomics
* Excellent Materials Quality
* Large easy to read controls for climate control, radio, etc.
* Steering wheel controls for radio song/station change, volume

Nice to have if possible:
* Auto up/down power windows for all 4 window controls (driver + passengers)
* Dual climate control.
* Backup camera
* Tunable regen force settings (dial controlled)
* Factory tinted windows (max that is legal)
* _LARGE_ moonroof

Optional:
* All-Wheel-Drive
* 4 Wheel Steering
* Active suspension
* Torque vectoring differentials
* Night vision HUD
* V2G

Would it be possible to have the Nav system be able to track Recharge sites and be able to integrate these as optional stops on trips that are entered? As the country begins developing a recharging infrastructure and as people begin to be able to use their vehicle for taking longer trips, this seems like something that won't easily be captured on CD, but could perhaps be captured by the individual and provided as input to a centralized database for use by others by getting downloads to their Nav system.

Yeah - I mentioned that idea on the Tesla blog a while back.

One way would be to have all the NEMA14-50 outlets that they can find (like at camp grounds, etc.) on the pre-programmed NAV maps.
Another way would be for the Tesla car to record every time it got charged so you can assume there is a charging outlet there.
It could upload this data back to Tesla when the car comes in for service (or map updates!).
They would probably want to exclude everyone's home chargers... (Although a Tesla owner running low on charge at risk of getting stranded might find some solace from another Tesla owner nearby) Perhaps the driver gets to pick an "add to maps?" feature whenever they complete a charge.

TEG said:
Perhaps the driver gets to pick an "add to maps?" feature whenever they complete a charge.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as a way for the individual to specify whether or not the charging location gets added to the map and available to send via link back to Tesla for download to other owners.

On the surface, the idea of the NAV software integrated with a charging station database is a good one. Tesla owners could go into service centers and get updates every few months and perhaps the map marks could have a colored designation to chargers at Private homes and Businesses as opposed to Public chargers and Paid charging stations. Having the NAV system tell you how much time you need there you need to charge up to reach your next waypoint or home would also be a nice feature. If the software could tell you what you might find in the area (Mall, Golf Course, Library) then that might help you decide which one to go to.

Then I thought this would be a lot of work to collate all of the charging stations all across the country and that Tesla would have to dedicate an employee or two year round to the project or hire an outside company to do this and how much money it would be.

Then I thought about my NAV system and how it has the usual Public Points of Interest like Airports and City Halls but it also has private enterprise like Restaurants and ATMs. This means there is already a pipeline set up to do this. If my NAV system can show All Restaurants separate from Fast Food restaurants, then an EV NAV system can show Tesla chargers, 110 Volt and Avcom plug chargers. I’m thinking minimally Tesla would be having this database on their website anyways.

This in car system is something that the Roadster and all their future cars would benefit from. This technology will be a VERY nice sales tool to knock some of the wind out of one of the major complaints of and EV. Where do I charge it?

Imagine the fearful buyer at the dealership driving the car down to the beach in So Cal and loving every minute of it. Suddenly the nay saying spouse in the back seat decrys that there are no “Gas” stations for this car on every corner. The Tesla Salesperson simply brings up the NAV’s "Charger Finder” that show s the dozen or so Public chargers in Santa Monica. And she talks of the growing network of places to charge and finding the next one is near as this touch of a button.

Pervious EV incarnations did not have this technology available to them. I guess they would have printed out lists or maps and owners might have marked up a Thomas Bros with (EV1) charger stations from the internet. But now the new integrated system would have driving distances and times, and would calculate how much charge time would be need at a station with the type (voltage) of charger that is available (or plugged in).

This would put a lot of potential buying fears to rest. At the core Tesla Motors are a Silicone Valley Software company inside of an EV maker. This should be cake for them and considering the marketing value of a system like this I would make it a priority for the Whitestar and minimally a free upgrade to the Roadster.

hi i'm new to the forum and just started reading about Tesla Motors. I'm very interested in the concept. One thing i wanted to add though, the suspension. i saw some people talking about it in other posts but just want to add my 2 cents. BOSE (yes the speaker and stereo company) has been developing a suspension system for awhile now. It's a electronically controlled suspension system(almost a direct replacement for the shock/strut assembly), provides a stiff ride for cornering and excellent response for bumps and potholes. what are peoples feelings about that? its not used on any production cars yet but it may be something that Tesla should look into.

I guess it is time for a scorecard of sorts, given that I gave them a laundry list of wishlist features back in 2007.

(Stuff I had posted to the Tesla blog)

WhiteStar wish list.

Required items:
* Electric powered (check!)[YEP... Almost detoured to REEVland, but came back]
* Quick acceleration (check!) < 6 seconds 0-60 [ EXACTLY ]
* 4 wheel independent suspension with 4 wheel discs (given) [YEP]
* Handles well (almost assured) [ "on rails"... pack down low ]
* Looks cool/stylish/hip (crossing my fingers) [Home run by many accounts]
* Forged alloy wheels with creative design. (more than one style to pick…) [OK...massive 21"]
* Small turning circle ???
* Not too wide (72″ max) [I think it is wider that I would have wanted.]
* Good steering feel with just the right amount of road sensation. ???probably???
* 50/50 weight distribution. [ I think I heard 55/45 ? ]
* Everything they could do to keep weight down. [ It is somewhat heavy, but aluminum helps.. Carbon fiber would have cost too much anyways. ]
* Rigid body/chassis. ???
* All expected comforts (AC, power windows, keyless entry, alarm, etc.) [ Gadget geek's dream car! ]
* Kick a$$ stereo that can play MP3s from a USB memory stick. [Looking extremely promising here!]
* Best of breed VoiceNav/GPS system with maps of charging locations. [YEP!]
* Arm rests on doors and in the center console that are the same height and not too high. [Looks promising]
* Self leveling xenon headlights. [Not sure about self leveling, but the lighting system so far looks amazing.]
* ABS (given) [YEP]
* Defeatable traction control. ???
* Electronic brake force distribution. (optimized portioning) ???
* Airbags all around. (Elon mentioned “5 star crash safety”) [Still seems to be a goal]
* Push button keyless starter (like on the Prius) [Apparently so]
* Excellent Fit and Finish [Looks good in pictures. Hopefully the production version will excel here.]
* Excellent Ergonomics [Looks promising. Waiting for a range of non Tesla employees to drive and comment.]
* Excellent Materials Quality [Looks promising, but I always hope for non-leather options.]
* Large easy to read controls for climate control, radio, etc. [Possibly the best ever... if they can make them reliable and comfortable to use.]
* Steering wheel controls for radio song/station change, volume [Looking good so far.]

Nice to have if possible:
* Auto up/down power windows for all 4 window controls (driver + passengers) ???
* Dual climate control. [YEP]
* Backup camera [YEP]
* Tunable regen force settings (dial controlled) ???
* Factory tinted windows (max that is legal) ???
* _LARGE_ moonroof [Well, the prototype has this in spades!]

Optional:
* All-Wheel-Drive
[Listed as a future option!]

* 4 Wheel Steering [Doesn't sound like it]
* Active suspension [Doesn't sound like it]
* Torque vectoring differentials [Doesn't sound like it]
* Night vision HUD [Doesn't sound like it]
* V2G [Doesn't sound like it]

So, I don't know if Tesla factored in my personal wishlist much (if at all), but in the end it seems they have come rather close to addressing most of the things I thought would be good for model S.

Last edited:
Is this right ?!?!?!?

The standard 42-kilowatt-hour battery pack sits on the relatively flat floor pan and contains roughly 8000 cells—the Roadster uses 6831.

Doesn't the Roadster have a 52Kwh pack ???? and need an extra 6 Kwh to cool it while it is charging ????

That amounts to more cells and supposed increase in density by 20% and less Kwhs. Am I the only one that is confused ?!?!?!!? :confused:

That article seems full of errors. It says QuickCharge is from 400V, and you can charge in 4 hours using regular 110V....
...Tesla says they could set up a quick charge station between, say, Los Angeles and San Francisco, yielding a charge time of only 45 minutes. But expect considerably slower charge times, Tesla says, closer to 4 hours using the onboard adaptor that plugs into a standard 110-volt wall socket. The system is also compatible with 220, 240 or 400 volts.

By laminated do you mean glued?
Isn't that a Lotus specialty?

Audi does make some cars with Aluminum frames.

Portland Audi | Portland Oregon Audi | I am Audi
Audi-R8-Audi-Space-Frame.jpg

Audi Space Frame® (ASF):
The Audi A8 is the first North American car with an aluminum body built according to the Audi Space Frame® principle. ASF is a high-strength aluminum frame structure into which the panels are integrated so that they also perform a load-bearing function. In conjunction with high-strength aluminum sheet, the aluminum body is characterized by exceptional stiffness and above-average crash protection, yet at the same time with substantially lower weight. Advantages for the driver: greater safety, increased performance, improved handling, lower fuel consumption, and ease of repair.
Source:
Audi Technical Advancements taken directly from: audiusa.com

Great TEG. So the good news is that Tesla won't be the first ones doing it. Will frames be made in California?

Still though it's a relatively new tech and Tesla will probably be mining companies like Lotus and Audi teams for project leads.

Also the Audi designs have less of a "tub" look than the Lotus design.

405223899_760ee3261f.jpg

3203239017_fe76e9d642.jpg

And since nearly all car parts will be carbon fiber someday, why not make the jump?
axon-carbon-fiber-frame.jpg

Axon : Carbon Fiber Gear

Last edited:
I wonder how much weight would actually be saved by using a carbon fiber frame and how much would that weight savings go towards increasing range, and thus reducting the quantity of batteries to reach the current range goals? Could we actually end up with a close offset of cost?