Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WhiteStar feature requests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It bet it would cost a lot more to use exotic carbon fiber than you would save in potential reduced pack size. On the other hand, the smaller pack would need less energy so there would be ongoing cost savings in reduced energy costs.

The Audi S4 & S5 to be Downsized | Essex Audi Blog - Audi News and Audi Reviews

‘Smaller engine displacement isn’t the only avenue Audi is investigating as weight reduction is equally important for Audi. Take the new S5, the coupe weighs in at a hefty 3,800 pounds while the Cabrio tips the scales at 4,300 pounds. According to Dick, Audi’s weight reduction goal for the next-generation of cars is 30%.’

To achieve this, Audi will include more aluminum, magnesium, and high-strength steel in the construction of the cars.

A prototype for the new Audi S5 is already in testing and weighs up to 880 pounds (400kg) less than the current model.

Shows how bloated modern cars have become.

It's back to economies of scale. There are many companies that are gearing up to mass produce CF getting price near equivalent to fiberglass for body panels.

I thought we covered all this here before

Given the huge amount of luggage capacity the car has, I'd like to see the ability to drop in "range extender" battery modules. These could be flat trays that sit in the floor of the two boots/trunks, added in pairs so that the balance of the car isn't upset. It might require dynamic suspension, though.

I'm sure there are some green millionaires out there who would love to boast of having such long range available. Such an option would likely put the price on par with the Roadster, at least, but then there is a market for that, so why not?

I'm determined to get my London - Edinburgh EV (420 miles) :biggrin: If we are right about the current choice of cells, then that should be possible.

Lightweighting vs Luxury

Been wondering how much can be done to reduce the weight given the need for luxury comfort levels.

Airline seat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Simpler, lighter seats with inbuilt massage capability???

Sounds a bit naff.

Also I didn't know Recaro made airline seats.

On the cost aspect, rearward facing seats need additional strengthening which adds extra weight and therefore higher costs.

Not that this has much effect on Model S's kiddie seats

When the Roadster first came out I questioned (on their forums), why use a 2 speed when a direct drive would be more simple, reliable, a cost effective? (And I noted vehicles like my RangerEV, RAV4EV, TZero, EV1, etc., all used direct drive). Well, Model S has direct drive!

Also, I kept suggesting water cooling for the motor. At first the idea was dismissed but now they are doing it!

Also, I suggested that they should have 2 or 3 model variants, and they are doing that too (160mi, 230mi, 300mi)!

So, I am further glad that Model S is doing a lot of things I thought they should do.

The 160 mile range version was probably a hard decision. Tesla wanted to show that EVs can have little in the way of range compromise. But, I think they made a wise choice to offer the lower price point version for those who can live with that range and would like to get a cost savings.

Just watched this Lotus documentary. At the end of part one (about 1:32) The lead mentions that now that they just have done their first Auto show that the finance people say that the car is done but the truth is that only about 30 percent of the work has been completed.

The Model S has a loooooonnnnnng way to go.

TM says that once the govt loan money starts flowing in it will 26 months from that time to the time car #1 rolls off the line.
Yes, that reinforces my belief that much of the engineering is done - on "paper", as it were. They have been engineering the Model S for two years now. The Roadster's Drive Train 2.0 evolved from the Model S, if you recall comments made at a town hall meeting. And that they can state the actual Model S will be four inches wider, an inch taller, and an inch lower tells me they've got some pretty solid chassis designs floating around.

They do have a long way to go. But I also believe they're a lot further along than just having a "concept" car.

The Model S will have a GPS and Tesla will know where your car is like they do your Roadster. Why not use that knowledge to find the car if stolen? Partner with a company that does this by connecting with the police who recover your stolen car.