Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who else tows with their S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0613B36F-8BDA-47C2-8706-CCE528281585.jpeg
Pulled in to charge today and 1 charger would not connect to car... screen stated “ready to charge”. Forgot to check what the charger number was but it’s in the middle area more towards del taco

Also seen this who else tows with their S?

Now with the towing approval for Model 3, would Tesla consider to approve Model S for towing aswell? I guess they might approve the earlier Model 3 production vehicles for it aswell. Alot of Model 3 owners that would love to have a towing hitch.

Now with the towing approval for Model 3, would Tesla consider to approve Model S for towing aswell? I guess they might approve the earlier Model 3 production vehicles for it aswell. Alot of Model 3 owners that would love to have a towing hitch.
I must have missed it -- where has Tesla written that towing is approved for the Model 3? Not talking about Elontweets or "I talked to Blahdy Blah Tesla exec and he said it was okay," but an actual written policy.

No, @Bueno, nobody with a care about their warranty will post about towing with their Model S, thus admitting in writing that they did so.

Last edited:
I don’tknow about the US, but in Norway you can now order a Model 3 with a factory fitted tow bar approved for towing 2000 lb (910kg). It’s an option in the configurator. Only available for the LR with dual motor.

This is why I would recon that Tesla should approve earlier produced M3 for towing aswell, so these owners can get a tow bar retrofitted. I have heard that Tesla needs to certify these vehicles for tow bar since the new ones that comes with an optional tow bar are approved on a different number.

Would be strange never the less if Tesla would leave earlier produced M3 out in the dark for this.

And if they are going to certify earlier M3 for tow bar. Why not do so for the Model S aswell? Its the only car left without towing option. Wouldnt need MX rate, but cant see why a M3 capacity would be any problem for the MS. I think existing MS and M3 customers would really love to have this option.

Reactions: BerTX
View attachment 400738 Pulled in to charge today and 1 charger would not connect to car... screen stated “ready to charge”. Forgot to check what the charger number was but it’s in the middle area more towards del taco

Also seen this who else tows with their S?
The dip wad owner of this beat up "S" should have is ass kicked for blocking multiple spaces..looks like Tesla owners are sinking down with the BMW owners.....
Just observing, the "G"

I must have missed it -- where has Tesla written that towing is approved for the Model 3? Not talking about Elontweets or "I talked to Blahdy Blah Tesla exec and he said it was okay," but an actual written policy.

No, @Bueno, nobody with a care about their warranty will post about towing with their Model S, thus admitting in writing that they did so.

According to my mobile tech, Tesla cannot void your warranty for towing unless the problem is directly related to towing. He gave me several real world examples.

Reactions: KJD
According to my mobile tech, Tesla cannot void your warranty for towing unless the problem is directly related to towing. He gave me several real world examples.
Perhaps, but all they have to do is say that the problem results from towing and it is likely up to the owner to pursue legal means to prove otherwise.

Personally my issue is from a liability standpoint. Any accident would be due to my willfully disregarding Tesla's instructions not to tow. A death or injury of someone else in the accident would result in my losing everything I own. Not worth it to me.

Perhaps, but all they have to do is say that the problem results from towing and it is likely up to the owner to pursue legal means to prove otherwise.

Personally my issue is from a liability standpoint. Any accident would be due to my willfully disregarding Tesla's instructions not to tow. A death or injury of someone else in the accident would result in my losing everything I own. Not worth it to me.

We talked that issue through as well. Mechanics are cheaper than lawyers, as they've already found out from a guy who towed a boat up and down the east coast.

Car insurance is there for when you're at fault; so long as it's as decent brand they don't weasel out. Just make sure you have well over the minimum coverage.

If this were a problem, you wouldn't see the mounts being made.

We talked that issue through as well. Mechanics are cheaper than lawyers, as they've already found out from a guy who towed a boat up and down the east coast.

Car insurance is there for when you're at fault; so long as it's as decent brand they don't weasel out. Just make sure you have well over the minimum coverage.

If this were a problem, you wouldn't see the mounts being made.
There are limits to liability coverage. There is no limit to the amount for which you can be sued.

As to there not being towing receivers made if they are not approved, you might want to read the manufacturer's statements that they are not responsible and that you should not tow with vehicles that are not approved for towing. Even though they make the equipment specifically for those vehicles and put a tow rating on them.

So do you guys think that Tesla will certify MS for towing one day aswell? It would easily handel at least the same specs as for the M3!

So why wouldnt they? I bet it would really boost the MS sale if they did!
I doubt very seriously they will go back and certify existing models (I hope I'm wrong). They may support it on the upcoming refresh.

And the Model 3 isn't approved for towing in the US as yet, AFAIK. They will not go back and certify existing cars on that, either. I think this issue is why they are dragging their feet on approving for new TM3s.

But what is actually the issue with certifying the existing cars when new have it? I recon all the crash testing is all done, so just paper work? Or regulative difficulties?

For the MS, would there be any technical issues for it to not be able to tow?