Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who else tows with their S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did this one have trailer lights aswell?

What are the consequences of hauling a trailer with Models S if you get pulled over by cops in US?

Here in Norway everyone knows its not allowed for a MS to tow, so it would really catch the attention from cops if one did.

Ok, to the OP, yes, people do tow with their MS, at least here in the US they do. As for which equipment they use, I believe the EcoHitch is what you're looking for. And for the legalese commentators, pipe down. The OP didn't ask if it was legal or not or how safe it is/isn't. Only asked if people do it and by what means.

Reactions: OBX John
So for US market, towing with MS is not a legal issue, just a warrenty issue up against Tesla?

I didnt know that - so thanks.

Here in Norway it is a lega issue. If you dont have the towing capacity in your cars certificate, its not legal. If you get pulle over, you get a ticket and a driving ban (you cant drive further with you trailer).

BUT, the public road authorities in Norway would update the certificate and allow towing IF manufacture approve it. This goes for all manufactures.
So if Tesla sent an approval in writing saying this VIN is allowed for towing xx weights, it would be all good. No need for new EU type approvals etc.

Do you know why Tesla wont approve MS for towing? Are there any technical issues or just administrative?

The M3 in Norway are approved for towing up to 2000lb. Not much, but enough for most people.
So MS should also be capable of these weights?

Towing isn't a violation of the warranty.
I suppose maybe you are right, since it isn't mentioned in the warranty document. Here's what it says in my Owner's Manual:

Towing a Trailer
Warning: Do not use Model S for towing
purposes. Model S does not support a
trailer hitch. Installing one could cause
damage and increase the risk of an
accident.
Caution: Using Model S for towing may
void the warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
So for US market, towing with MS is not a legal issue, just a warrenty issue up against Tesla?

I didnt know that - so thanks.

Here in Norway it is a lega issue. If you dont have the towing capacity in your cars certificate, its not legal. If you get pulle over, you get a ticket and a driving ban (you cant drive further with you trailer).

BUT, the public road authorities in Norway would update the certificate and allow towing IF manufacture approve it. This goes for all manufactures.
So if Tesla sent an approval in writing saying this VIN is allowed for towing xx weights, it would be all good. No need for new EU type approvals etc.

Do you know why Tesla wont approve MS for towing? Are there any technical issues or just administrative?

The M3 in Norway are approved for towing up to 2000lb. Not much, but enough for most people.
So MS should also be capable of these weights?
In the US, it is a different kind of legal issue. It is not against the law, but if there is an accident, the driver could be deemed responsible financially for damages, since they knowingly disregarded the manufacturer's warning. If a fatality occurs, millions of dollars would be involved. An extra good liability insurance policy might cover one million, but the rest would come from the driver.

Apologies for the "legalese", @REckard. The question was asked.

Are there any technical reason for the Model S not to be able to tow a trailer when both Model 3 and Model X can?

Anyone know?

Any technical reasons for towing with a MS; no, you can tow anything with any vehicle as long as the tow connection is engineered properly for the tow vehicle. The ecohitch has a max tougne weight capacity of 160Kg/350lbs, & max tow weight of, 1600Kg/3500lbs. There are vehicles with towing hitches installed with lower towing specs. I plan on installing one to carry my bikes, or cargo tray, 200# max. I probably would tow a small trailer, if it isnt sketchy looking, such as no wiring harness for lights, or bad wheels. I hope this helps, good luck!

I have an EcoHitch, and there is a technical issue that the ultrasonic sensors go nuts, depending on what kind of trailer. There is no provision for disabling the back ones.

Also the rear air suspension is not designed for heavier loads. But there's no torque or drivetrrain problem.

And on the EcoHitch, the weak point is where the receiver connects to the towing frame. That metal bar is the limiting factor for weight.

Reactions: ICE collector