Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost credits sending solar back to grid with PGE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
I tried search and cannot find the post from the person who had this happen.

Just trying to make sure if I add batteries, I am not shooting myself in the foot.

Right now 100% of my excess solar gets credited to my PGE battery. Sure would not want a surprise that if I add batteries, I somehow get limited and lose money.

So, anyone do the process they first got solar, then later batteries, and were limited on how much solar they could send back to PGE and get credits?

@h2ofun I believe the question in your thread topic points to a known fact that when an energy storage system (ESS) (e.g. Powerwall system) received permission to operate (PTO) from the utility, a new True-Up cycle ends and begins. If one has NEM credits in the form of energy credits, you risk losing them depending upon specifics to your situation (i.e. PG&E vs. community energy provider). (If you buy electricity from PG&E, it is less friendly, as the other providers tend to pay out the credits.) I hope this is the answer you were looking for.

@h2ofun I believe the question in your thread topic points to a known fact that when an energy storage system (ESS) (e.g. Powerwall system) received permission to operate (PTO) from the utility, a new True-Up cycle ends and begins. If one has NEM credits in the form of energy credits, you risk losing them depending upon specifics to your situation (i.e. PG&E vs. community energy provider). (If you buy electricity from PG&E, it is less friendly, as the other providers tend to pay out the credits.) I hope this is the answer you were looking for.
Makes sense.

But in the one case, he changed nothing since he had it all, and was getting hit big time with not being able to export. I thought he had
posted on this thread, but then the post went away.