Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has switched to nitrogen for tires?

Who has filled their tires with nitrogen?

• Nitrogen

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Air

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Magical Unicorn Farts

Votes: 21 38.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've actually had that happen with truck tires. Not from the water vapour in the air, which is minimal, but from them being stored outside, getting rained on, and then just being mounted. Gives one heck of a bounce. We're talking over 5 kg of ice. Air that's been run through an in-line dryer will still have a bit of water vapour, enough to throw off suspension tuning in a sensitive race car, but not enough to cause a balance problem. There might be enough water vapour in a really large aircraft tire to affect the balance.

Lots of people fill tires from 12volt pumps that just push the water into the tires.
On the aircraft tires though my point was more about the temp extremes, I suspect that what is dry at 90f is not so dry at -40.

Reactions: jerry33
We're really talking F-1 level here for race cars. Also at some small local tracks where there is no electricity nitrogen is about the cheapest and safest bottled gas you can get.

Maybe but any good racer knows you need all that stuff in your trailer; welding stuff, air pumps (for tools and tires), food and beverage :)

Yeah our lowly racing didn't justify exotic gases in our tires.