Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has switched to nitrogen for tires?

Who has filled their tires with nitrogen?

• Nitrogen

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Air

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Magical Unicorn Farts

Votes: 21 38.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I work for a company that sells nitrogen and other atmospheric gases and I use it. The main things I have noticed is less variance in my cold and hot tire pressures.

A co-worker who also uses it in his tires stated that Nitrogen tends to not migrate through the rubber of the tires as quickly as Oxygen and compressed Nitrogen also has much less water vapor.

I probably will go back to straight air when I am no longer able to get nitrogen at work.

Air is like 78% nitrogen so I'm not sure what the point of that would be...

As DirtyT3sla states, air is 78% Ni.

• Informative
Reactions: DirtyT3sla
The supposed point of using nitrogen in your tires is that it is not as variant in volume with temperature, so if you inflate your tires to 45 PSI with nitrogen when it's 45 degrees Centigrade out (hi from Phoenix!), the tire pressure won't go down as much when it gets down to twenty degrees.

But since we have TPMS in modern cars, it's not as "necessary" anymore (not that, in my opinion, it ever was), it's mooted by the car letting you know when your tire pressure has changed on you.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The supposed point of using nitrogen in your tires is that it is not as variant in volume with temperature
The Ideal Gas Law has not been repealed for nitrogen — there should be no difference at all in pressure variation with temp from nitrogen/oxygen mix. Presumably the advantage is therefore either in pushing out the water vapor or preventing the reactive oxygen from messing around in there?

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life