Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who will never get on a Tesla waiting list again?

Who will never get on another Tesla waiting list again?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early adopters always have to suffer a little more than those who follow them, this is nothing new. I guess you never bought a first generation iPhone/iPad, or PlayStation, or Volkswagen, or HD TV or in fact anything?

I have a little sympathy for people who put down $1000 hoping for a sub-$40k car within a year or two and still don't have it, but when you have the means and privilege (and I assume edecation) to buy a $60, $70 or 80k car that you know is on the very edge of technology, well cry me a river and get out the world's smallest violin.

One of your voting options should be

- I understand early adoption isn't always a perfect experience.

Reactions: Amit519
I'd do it again for sure. I was a first day reservation holder for Model 3 and when I got tired of waiting, I bought a Model X. Kept the 3 reservation. When I got an invitation to configure my 3 I held off since I wasn't in a hurry anymore. When I did decide to configure, the car was ready to deliver in a few weeks. The wait would have been longer had I not had the reservation. Don't mind loaning Tesla my deposit. After my experience with the Model X, I knew I wouldn't be buying anymore ICE vehicles again. Don't mind helping Tesla grow.

There's been lots of cases that those who reserved or ordered much later (2 years) received their car prior to first week reservers simply because of delivery logistics.

No, it was due Tesla prioritizing more expensive and higher margin cars, which according to Musk was a necessity for survival.

I really do sympathize with people who thought they'd get a $35k car with a $7,500 tax break (and plenty of people strongly suggested that would be the case, and beat up the doubters) but it turned out not to be the case. Regardless, as long as you only put down the $1k deposit and not the $2.5k additional configuration fee, you could get your money back at any point.

Why would the interest free loan specifically bump you to the top of any line, given everyone else in that line had also provided such an interest free loan?

Because putting down the deposit was supposed to put my in the front of some sort of "line" for delivery and it did no such thing.

Folks who did not put down deposits were able to order at the effectively the same time.

Because putting down the deposit was supposed to put my in the front of some sort of "line" for delivery and it did no such thing.

Folks who did not put down deposits were able to order at the effectively the same time.

Well it's kind of like when you go to a really popular event... and you join the line early and stand there for hours. Then some guy comes along and says there's going to be a 2nd line, but only for "members" and 800 people who got there 4 hours after you, walk in ahead.

Fair? No. Surprises anyone? Not really.

Reactions: Amit519
Well it's kind of like when you go to a really popular event... and you join the line early and stand there for hours. Then some guy comes along and says there's going to be a 2nd line, but only for "members" and 800 people who got there 4 hours after you, walk in ahead.

Fair? No. Surprises anyone? Not really.

I can honestly say I have never had the experience you describe. I was surprised. And I learned my lesson.

Hence, why I see no reason to ever give Tesla an early deposit again. If I want something from them I'll just buy it when I see the "buy" button on the website.

Not sure why anyone would ever tie up any amount of money with them for a mulit-year period when it is absolutely not necessary. There was literally no benefit to doing so. With the exception of maybe a plastic model car.

Reactions: kablammyman
I’ll probably do it again for the Model Y. But I’d like it to be a better car than the Model 3. Needs better wind and road noise isolation, more comfortable and adjustable seats, less spartan interior with an instrument cluster and basic creature comforts eg. power trunk closing.

There's a very real chance that the Model 3 SR becomes available early 2019 and that the original reservation list will be used to prioritize orders while you can still get $3,750 of the tax credit. It seems pretty clear that a significant portion of the reservations were waiting for the base $35k trim.